Kit No Search

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kit No Search

I made a note some time ago of somebody who has tested on FTDNA - unfortunately I only recorded his Kit Number and nothing else (stupid of me). Is it possible to find the person or am I able to compare his kit with mine without searching through all my possible matches?

How did you get their Kit Number?

Everyone here has a FTDNA Kit Number, but to matches is identified by their user name.

Are you confusing a GEDmatch Kit Number with a FTDNA Kit Number?

Comment

Originally posted by dagian View Post
      I made a note some time ago of somebody who has tested on FTDNA - unfortunately I only recorded his Kit Number and nothing else (stupid of me). Is it possible to find the person or am I able to compare his kit with mine without searching through all my possible matches?
      Was this kit number displayed in a Y DNA project? (The only place you can see FTDNA kit numbers.)

Or the user jimbirk is right?
      Originally posted by jimbirk View Post
      How did you get their Kit Number?
      [----]
      Are you confusing a GEDmatch Kit Number with a FTDNA Kit Number?

Mr. W.

Comment

My error in replying, as the question is in "DNA and Genealogy for Beginners" I assumed the question is about autosomal DNA.

I am not knowledgeable about how mtDNA and Y-DNA testers are identified at FTDNA.

Comment

My error in replying, as the question is in "DNA and Genealogy for Beginners" I assumed the question is about autosomal DNA.

I am not knowledgeable about how mtDNA and Y-DNA testers are identified at FTDNA.
          Don't feel like the Lone Ranger. Many people on this forum reply to messages without knowing the details.

Comment

Sorry just wanted to get straight to the problem. It is Y-DNA. Another Tester (who I no longer have contact with) gave me the Kit Number of a relative of theirs to do a comparison. I was looking for a quick way of comparing without trawling through a large number of potential matches to find the Kit Number.

Comment

Originally posted by dagian View Post
              Sorry just wanted to get straight to the problem. It is Y-DNA. Another Tester (who I no longer have contact with) gave me the Kit Number of a relative of theirs to do a comparison. I was looking for a quick way of comparing without trawling through a large number of potential matches to find the Kit Number.
              Then you have to go to the right Y DNA project.

That might be easy if you are looking for a popular surname and there is a project for that surname. On your myFTDNA screen go to Projects, select Join a project and use Search by Surname. I guess you would use the surname of that Another Tester. (Or go to the bottom for another idea.)

Let me use Smith as an example. You will get possibly many matches, I would start with the ones with most members or more fitting description. When you click on a project name (in the search results) you would be directed to a Join Page for that project. On many projects you do not have to join, you can just use the link provided under the Website heading. You want to use DNA results or Y-DNA Results and not Results or mtDNA Results link from the project webpage. Select one of the Y DNA charts. The end result with FTDNA kit numbers:
              https://www.familytreedna.com/public...frame=yresults

Or you can use Google and use the following two search terms kit number and DNA. Sounds simpler, but not all projects have public results. An example
              https://www.familytreedna.com/public...ction=yresults

Good luck - Mr. W.

Comment

As Jim Barrett just observed, I jumped to a conclusion myself - it could have been an mtDNA match!

You can use a link I had provided in my previous post to see how Y DNA results are presented. And here is an example with kit numbers and mtDNA results (just HVR1 and HVR2!)
                https://www.familytreedna.com/public...tion=mtresults

Mr. W.

Comment

Thanks guys!

Comment

I have a similar question about kit numbers

I have a similar question. I just got my Autosomal and mtDNA results and most of the top matches on Family Finder are known 2nd & 3rd Cousins but there is one "ringer" about whom I have no clue. I e-mailed her to see if she was interesting in sorting out the mystery. She quickly replied that she managed about 20 kits and would need to know the kit number to answer my question. My reply was that I didn't know how to find the kit number of someone else's data. Did I miss something or was she the one who was off-base?

Comment

Originally posted by DRNewcomb View Post
                      I have a similar question. I just got my Autosomal and mtDNA results and most of the top matches on Family Finder are known 2nd & 3rd Cousins but there is one "ringer" about whom I have no clue. I e-mailed her to see if she was interesting in sorting out the mystery. She quickly replied that she managed about 20 kits and would need to know the kit number to answer my question. My reply was that I didn't know how to find the kit number of someone else's data. Did I miss something or was she the one who was off-base?
                      I manage 20 kits, so I had learned the hard way that each kit has to have a separate e-mail account. Otherwise I would be unable to respond to very nice and often detailed queries starting with
                      Dear Cousin!

You are not off-base, as long as you had identified the sex and the name used in the profile of the match. I am assuming that there is no other information in the profile that might help that lady in kit identification.

I am guessing that for privacy reason she has all her kits under one generic name like M Smith. If that is the case she needs to modify potential profiles, so you can see which one is which one.

Mr. W.

P.S.
                      As earlier posts show, there are no kit number in Family Finder
                      Last edited by dna; 30 April 2018, 10:16 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by DRNewcomb View Post
                        Tell them the name of the person you are matching, maybe that's what she means. I have many kits too all under one email address and most people give a generic "Hi, I am matching you..." and never provide the name of the person they're matching.

Comment

Originally posted by mattn View Post
                          Tell them the name of the person you are matching, maybe that's what she means. I have many kits too all under one email address and most people give a generic "Hi, I am matching you..." and never provide the name of the person they're matching.
                          We've sorted out the issue. It turns out when I explained which person I was talking about, it was herself.

Comment

She should know you don't have a way to find the kit number for a Family Finder kit. She needs to have a list of the names assigned to the kits she manages.

Anytime I send a message to a new match I include the name attached to the kit. I haven't had a problem when I do this. My subject line will be something like this: FTDNA Family Finder Match With John Hancock.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Barrett View Post
                              Anytime I send a message to a new match I include the name attached to the kit. I haven't had a problem when I do this. My subject line will be something like this: FTDNA Family Finder Match With John Hancock.
                              Good idea!! I may try adopting that phrasing.

My suggestion, if anyone asks for the Kit Number of your match at FTDNA, is to respond with something along the lines of:
                              "The match is at FamilyTreeDNA and the name on the Kit is ....." --
                              maybe they were thinking it was a match at GEDMatch (either their goof, or if you forgot to mention it was an FTDNA match), and GEDMatch does go by Kit Number
                              maybe asking for the Kit Number instead of the name was just a goof
                              either way, that gives them the info they actually need
                              -- if they respond by pushing again for the Kit Number - then they are firmly in the wrong, and whether you choose to gently enlighten them or whatever is up to you

Comment

Working...
                              X