Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Glen Kelly Y-DNA

Hi!

I’ve took the Y-DNA at the suggestion of a professional geneologist. I'm hoping to do surname research in an attempt to unearth my Great-Grandfather’s biological father. I'm looking for help to navigate and understand Familytreedna.com and suggestions on where to go from here.

First, I'll fill you in.

According to the U.S. Census records, my (paternal) Great-Grandfather Glen was born Glen Kelly in Western Minnesota in September 1905. He was later adopted by Martin Murphy in 1911 becoming Glen Murphy. Glen never knew his biological father and spent most of his life wondering.

I wrote to the Minnesota Department of Health requesting Glen’s birth certificate in hopes of finding his real dad listed. They wrote back telling me Glen's name didn’t exist in the database. His Mother, Delila Fuller, had one ‘illegitimate’ birth record of a young boy born in November of 1905 with the name ‘Charles Fuller’. The father was listed as Charles Sumner Windgate, a twenty-four year old farm boy from Iowa. Was my Grandfather born under a different name and on a different date than he’d been led to believe? Where did the last name Kelly come from? Was he a Windgate or a Kelly?

I have no clue. I'm hoping to narrow down some of the last names but I'm inexperienced here on Familytree.

Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated.

Tyler

Originally posted by tgmurphy View Post
    Hi!

I’ve took the Y-DNA at the suggestion of a professional geneologist. I'm hoping to do surname research in an attempt to unearth my Great-Grandfather’s biological father. I'm looking for help to navigate and understand Familytreedna.com and suggestions on where to go from here.

First, I'll fill you in.

According to the U.S. Census records, my (paternal) Great-Grandfather Glen was born Glen Kelly in Western Minnesota in September 1905. He was later adopted by Martin Murphy in 1911 becoming Glen Murphy. Glen never knew his biological father and spent most of his life wondering.

I wrote to the Minnesota Department of Health requesting Glen’s birth certificate in hopes of finding his real dad listed. They wrote back telling me Glen's name didn’t exist in the database. His Mother, Delila Fuller, had one ‘illegitimate’ birth record of a young boy born in November of 1905 with the name ‘Charles Fuller’. The father was listed as Charles Sumner Windgate, a twenty-four year old farm boy from Iowa. Was my Grandfather born under a different name and on a different date than he’d been led to believe? Where did the last name Kelly come from? Was he a Windgate or a Kelly?

I have no clue. I'm hoping to narrow down some of the last names but I'm inexperienced here on Familytree.

Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated.

Tyler
    You should take the autosomal test (Family Finder) to see who you do match to. I have found third cousins this way, and I can trace my brother in law's line (from Canada) back to the many of early settlers in Massachusetts.

Here is some information from the 1910 census:

Name: Eugene A Fuller (This may be your great great grandfather)
    Age in 1910:56
    Birth Year:abt 1854
    Birthplace:Wisconsin
    Home in 1910: Hawley, Clay, Minnesota (You could not get any more west in Minnesota)
    Street:Joseph Street
    Race:White
    Relation to Head of House:Head
    Marital Status: Widowed
    Father's Birthplace:New York
    Mother's Birthplace:New York
    Native Tongue:English
    Industry:General Farm
    Employer, Employee or Other:Wage Earner
    Home Owned or Rented:Rent
    Farm or House:House
    Able to Read:Yes
    Able to Write:Yes
    Out of Work:N
    Number of weeks out of work:0
    Neighbors:View others on page
    Household Members:
    Name Age
    Eugene A Fuller 56
    Lila Kelly 24 (she is likely his daughter since he is widowed)
    Glen Kelly 4 Your great grandfather
    Viola Kelly 2 Your great Aunt

Please send me a private message if you need more help.
    Last edited by rmm0484; 25th April 2018, 08:34 PM.

Comment

Bingo!

I found Iola Marie Kelly's grave: (This was Lila in the 1910 Census)

Iola was the daughter of Lila (Fuller) Kelly and later became the step/adopted daughter of Martin Murphy.

Iola Marie Kelly married John Martin Lorentz.

They were the parents of 6 children: Doris, Irving, Donna, Lyle, Delilah and JoAnn

https://tinyurl.com/y7hnsbmn

Comment

Here is Lila's information:

https://old.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/f...GRid=144861883

Birth: Jan. 2, 1886
        South Dakota, USA
        Death: Apr. 18, 1960
        Clay County
        Minnesota, USA

Lila was the daughter of Eugene and Ida (Pettie) Fuller.

Lila Fuller became Lila Kelly. She had 2 children: Glen and Iola.

Lila/Delilah Kelly married Martin Murphy.

They were the parents of 5 additional children: John, Delbert, Leota, Delores and Martin.

Family links:
        Parents:
        Eugene A. Fuller (1854 - 1934)
        Ida J. Pettie Fuller (1863 - ____)

Spouse:
        Martin Murphy (1884 - 1967)

Children:
        Glen F Murphy (1905 - 1966)*
        Iola Marie Kelly Lorentz (1907 - 1968)*
        John P. Murphy (1913 - 1973)*
        Delbert L. Murphy (1915 - 1968)*
        Leota Gertrude Murphy Nicholas (1916 - 1993)*
        Delores Idella Murphy Ruziska (1919 - 2003)*
        Martin Murphy (1923 - 2001)*

Sibling:
        Lila Fuller Murphy (1886 - 1960)
        Marie J Fuller Haywood (1891 - 1989)*

*Calculated relationship

Burial:
        Moorhead Memorial Gardens Cemetery
        Moorhead
        Clay County
        Minnesota, USA

Comment

Originally posted by tgmurphy View Post
          Hi!

I have no clue. I'm hoping to narrow down some of the last names but I'm inexperienced here on Familytree. Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated.

Tyler
          This is a relative of yours if you are a Windgate:
          So, if you take the autosomal test, and match to Windgate, Moore or Hanna, then you know...if any of their relatives took the test, that is...

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/...e-marion-hanna

Caroline M. Moore Hanna

Sorry to be a pest, but your case looked interesting...

Comment

Working...
          X