FB privacy fiasco is affecting us too

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FB privacy fiasco is affecting us too

Now things will be changing.I got a message that I can now make my ethnicity private. A lot of us use this for finding matches.Its an important
    Tool in the journey. If I am looking for relevant matches,why would I. Are my tree,surnames and ethnicity private? I know this has been discussed here before,but now I fear our ability to connect the dots will be further hampered.

Originally posted by Miamio View Post
    Now things will be changing.I got a message that I can now make my ethnicity private. A lot of us use this for finding matches.Its an important
    Tool in the journey. If I am looking for relevant matches,why would I. Are my tree,surnames and ethnicity private? I know this has been discussed here before,but now I fear our ability to connect the dots will be further hampered.
    Entirely unrelated to the Facebook problems.

Yesterday, you should have received an e-mail from FTDNA with the explanation of changes and the reason behind them. If you did not, please verify your e-mail settings and make sure that FTDNA e-mail address ([email protected]) is whitelisted. Their e-mail address used in mailings is
    "FamilyTreeDNA" <[email protected]>

You can read about changes on the page
    Important Updates To Your Account Settings
    https://mailchi.mp/familytreedna/imp...count-settings

The e-mail would direct you to a version personalized with your first name.

Mr. W.
    Last edited by dna; 11 April 2018, 02:20 PM. Reason: space missing

Comment

Most, if not all, of these changes are most likely due to the EU and UK General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR), which is coming into effect in May, and which will affect all the genetic genealogy DNA testing companies.

The changes to preferences on email notifications from FTDNA about matches (NOT those from the matches themselves) are changes that people have been asking for for a long, long time.

The ethnicity sharing has always been an opt-in choice, if my memory serves me correctly. If it wasn't a choice to opt-in when the feature was first introduced, it changed very shortly afterward.

You can change the privacy setting of your FTDNA tree in your account settings, choosing private, matches only, or public visibility.

Comment

As a person reponsible/ account manager for -12 family members and project admin for - 5 small projects, I realised today that once again my email has been blocked and I am not getting any email from FTDNA, eg, new members or new results in. (This is probably the third or more time this has happened with no change from me.... Over the last few years.)

I did not get notification for the new Admin requirements at FTDNA, did not get emails re the new privacy requirements etc at FTDNA.

I logged into my account as a family project admin today and cannot access any of my family members projects. I've ok'd the various projects my Family members are in, with me as a full access project admin, time again, and still have been locked out.
        I created a small family project so I could manage all my family group and look at the various projects, as the full access manager.
        I've generally been able to look at some of the surname and haplogroup project to see if any connections can be made.

If I have NOW also have to go through all the palava for each member of each project time over, I will probably just say "Don't bother" and give up on FTDNA and it's Products.

I'm over having my email blocked, for no reason, I haven't changed my email in years. I don't live in the US, UK or Europe.

If I find it too hard to mange my family members DNA results, let alone my other project members I will JUST STOP.
        Last edited by rivergirl; 12 April 2018, 07:40 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by rivergirl View Post
          As a person reponsible/ account manager for -12 family members and project admin for - 5 small projects, I realised today that once again my email has been blocked and I am not getting any email from FTDNA, eg, new members or new results in. (This is probably the third or more time this has happened with no change from me.... Over the last few years.)

I did not get notification for the new Admin requirements at FTDNA, did not get emails re the new privacy requirements etc at FTDNA.
          I feel sorry for you. I had my private e-mail address blacklisted with no fault on my part, more than once. Not a good experience.

And then there are programming errors (human mistakes). My favourite example is that of a large US based company, that made a change in its software that blocked their products from sending e-mails to addresses belonging to the Canadian government. The error was not immediately noticed, and then it was not immediately corrected...

I logged into my account as a family project admin today and cannot access any of my family members projects. I've ok'd the various projects my Family members are in, with me as a full access project admin, time again, and still have been locked out.
          The change from 2018-04-10 should not have had such an effect. The new authorization will be valid starting on Friday 2018-05-25.

When I had been locked out like you described, I had to remove the kit authorization, login directly to change password, re-add authorization. Although I manage more kits, luckily for me only a couple of them had problems.

I created a small family project so I could manage all my family group and look at the various projects, as the full access manager.
          I've generally been able to look at some of the surname and haplogroup project to see if any connections can be made.
          Same with me. I cannot imagine handling of more than 2-3 kits in any other way.

If I have NOW also have to go through all the palava for each member of each project time over, I will probably just say "Don't bother" and give up on FTDNA and it's Products.

I'm over having my email blocked, for no reason, I haven't changed my email in years. I don't live in the US, UK or Europe.

If I find it too hard to mange my family members DNA results, let alone my other project members I will JUST STOP.
          And there will be more changes..., although it might be that there would be no new privacy settings, only the interface would be altered.

The new UE law is just an opportunity for FTDNA to comprehensively improve privacy. I am certain that it would be much worse (if not a total disaster in the light of the Facebook issues) if they were not doing it.

Mr. W.

P.S. As I wrote in another post, I definitely dislike FTDNA not giving an advanced warning to project administrators about the implementation date.
          Last edited by dna; 12 April 2018, 04:50 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X