Test results: online vs. paper

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Test results: online vs. paper

According to the test progress updates, my mtDNA test results are due back on Juny 12. However, I received them via e-mail today! I have two main questions at this point:

1. When I receive the "paper" version of the results, will there be more of an explanation as to the meaning of the test results? And a migration chart?

2. In regards to the low resolution matches, the majority (48) are under "Unknown Origin". This is followed by 15 for England, 8 for Ireland, etc. Would this still indicate England as my closest match?

Sorry if I sound befuddled, but between getting the results earlier than expected and having the flu, I'm trying to sort this out!
    Thanks very much!
    Karla B.

Re: Test results: online vs. paper

Originally posted by ksbryant
    According to the test progress updates, my mtDNA test results are due back on June 12. However, I received them via e-mail today! I have two main questions at this point:

1. When I receive the "paper" version of the results, will there be more of an explanation as to the meaning of the test results? And a migration chart?

2. In regards to the low resolution matches, the majority (48) are under "Unknown Origin". This is followed by 15 for England, 8 for Ireland, etc. Would this still indicate England as my closest match?

Sorry if I sound befuddled, but between getting the results earlier than expected and having the flu, I'm trying to sort this out!
    Thanks very much!
    Karla B.
    Dear Karla,

Indeed, our lab got results ahead of time!
    As to your questions, here are the answers:
    1. Yes, you will receive a report and migration chart.
    2. You need to look at the proportion between the number of matches in that country in relation to the total number of samples that we have from that country - the number between parenthesis. If Ireland's percentage is higher, it means that's the most likely origin, even though in absolute numbers it's smaller than England.

I hope you get well soon!
    Max Blankfeld
    Vice-President and COO @ Family Tree DNA
    A Gene by Gene Company

Comment

Dear Max,
      Thanks for the fast response! Now, when I read your comments regarding my second question, you explained that I need to look at the proportion btwn. the number of matches in a country relative to the total number of samples you have from that country "the number between the parenthesis". I went back and looked on my result page, but don't see any parenthesis anywhere on the Low Resolution Match list, or other indication of how to determine the number of samples FTDNA has from a specific country. What am I doing wrong?
      Thanks again!
      Karla B.

Comment

Yes, you're correct. The parethesis feature is only in the Y-DNA database as we are to implement it also in the mtDNA.
        So.... for now your conclusion is correct: England is the most likely country of origin.
        Max Blankfeld
        A Gene by Gene Company

Comment

Re: Re: Test results: online vs. paper

Originally posted by max
          Dear Karla,

2. You need to look at the proportion between the number of matches in that country in relation to the total number of samples that we have from that country - the number between parenthesis. If Ireland's percentage is higher, it means that's the most likely origin, even though in absolute numbers it's smaller than England.

Hi Max,

Now I am getting confused. If I have in the one-step mutation Germany (431) with 10 matches and Ireland (451) with 4 matches then my family originated in Germany and then went to Ireland? I have matched with a SISK in Ireland but haven't found any in Germany.

Comment

quote:
            --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            Originally posted by max
            Dear Karla,

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Max,

Now I am getting confused. If I have in the one-step mutation Germany (431) with 10 matches and Ireland (451) with 4 matches then my family originated in Germany and then went to Ireland? I have matched with a SISK in Ireland but haven't found any in Germany.

Comment

Originally posted by sisklg

quote:
              Originally posted by max
              Dear Karla,

Hi Max,

Upon looking at your results, I would say that yes, that's the indication about the migation pattern. You see that the higher percentages from Germany persist in the one and two step mutations.
              Max Blankfeld
              A Gene by Gene Company

Comment

Originally posted by max
                Dear Karla,

Dear Max,
                All I've received are my mt-DNA certificate and a copy of the article Understanding your mtDNA Report. Does this mean I'm going to receive a report and migration chart? Or is that a different test?
                Mary

Comment

Re: Re: Re: Test results: online vs. paper

Originally posted by Mary
                  Dear Max,
                  All I've received are my mt-DNA certificate and a copy of the article Understanding your mtDNA Report. Does this mean I'm going to receive a report and migration chart? Or is that a different test?
                  Mary
                  Dear Mary,

You should have received your migration chart. Please send me a private e-mail with your kit # and we will send you the chart.
                  Max Blankfeld
                  A Gene by Gene Company

Comment

Hi, Max,
                    When I did receive my results, I was wondering if the migration chart is my individual chart or a generic one showing the general migration of the human race. It looked like the latter, but I was hoping for the former. :-)
                    Thanks,
                    Karla

Comment

Working...
                    X