7% native american?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 7% native american?

i just received my DNAprint results and have not even begun to research the results, but can someone give me a simple, plausible reason how i can have two parents from eastern europe (born there) and have 7% native american? is the connection siberia?

Re: 7% native american?

Originally posted by tsnake
    i just received my DNAprint results and have not even begun to research the results, but can someone give me a simple, plausible reason how i can have two parents from eastern europe (born there) and have 7% native american? is the connection siberia?
    In case of peculiar results like this one, I would sugget that the chief scientist at DNAPrint is contacted. He has been very cooperative in answering questions. His name is Matt Thomas, and the phone number is (941) 366-3400
    Max Blankfeld
    Vice-President and COO @ Family Tree DNA
    A Gene by Gene Company

Comment

thanks for the quick response. i'll try that.

Comment

Please let us know what you find. I am in a similiar situation; both my grand sets cam from Europe (Ireland, Poland) yet I've got a 9% Native American presence. Most curious to know how!

Comment

i'll make sure to post the results of my investigation.

Comment

Re: 7% native american?

Originally posted by tsnake
            Apparently, others have the same results I do, however, my family history is of a Native American G-Grandmother. Other relatives applied for tribal affiliation years prior and I have copies of that. They were turned down due to lack of paperwork proof (which is not uncomon, since much like african-americans, many did not want to reveal their race at one time due to maltreatment)
            I will be watching the board for the answer to this question also.

Comment

as promised, here's the answer from matt thomas. this is amazing/interesting stuff:

"Could be reverse migration back across the Bering Strait or it could be from migration across the pacific such as that involved in the colonization of the Philipines (Spanish transported Native American slaves). Descendents from these migrations would then have settled all across Asian and even Europe. Europeans also brought back Native American slaves to Europe.
              Rosenberg et al. 2003 showed in the Science paper a very small amount of NAM admixture in central Asian populations (as well as East Asian), but it looks to be uncommon and at the same level as NAM admixture in East Asians. Generally our test shows much greater admixture than Rosenberg et al. 2003, but we use Ancestry Informative Markers and Rosenberg did not - used regular markers, so our test would be considered more powerful.

You should also know that some South Asian Indians type with significant Native American and many with East Asian admixture. Rosenbergs results strongly support both observations but most strongly support the East Asian observations but not as strongly our Native American observations, again possibly because our test is more powerful.

Lastly, its possible that the result is due to testing "error", though we have only seen error this high when we intentionally degrade the power of the test in simulation by adding over 15 fails. You might want to consider your results as a piece
              of a larger puzzle, that requires other pieces to be appreciated. As we suggest on our website, a good way to confirm the 7% would be to test your parents at least one of whom should have 7% or greater Native American."

hope this helps some folks out there.

Comment

Working...
              X