Y-DNA Testing. No Match, No Relative.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Y-DNA Testing. No Match, No Relative.

I’m the new guy on the block. I was raised on a farm on the left coast, some summers were spent in Wyoming. In 1959 I decided it was time to vote. I went to their office, was asked for my signature, signed the card and left. A few weeks later I got my Democrat voter registration card. I still have the same card today. I sure don’t follow my party’s affiliation though. I was asked a question when I was in school by my teacher. She asked me if someone blacked my eye, ran and hid in the outhouse, what would I do? I told her that I would push over the outhouse and pull the guy out by his heel (does this sound like Iraq?), then adjust his attitude. She replied NO, you go home and report it to your Mother or Myself. I got their number real quick.
    I had my Y-DNA tested by FTDNA. The 12 point test matched a cousin that was 8 or 9 fathers away. This was a perfect match. I can not accept the notion that there are mutations in the 12 point Y-DNA test. I think DNA testing is more powerful than we give this procedure credit for. My thoughts are: this is just a case “if it don’t fit, force it”, or I do not have to do anymore genealogy research because it is close. If you do not have a 12 point match, you are not related. It’s simple as that. Thanks, dc

What does the first part of your post have to do with DNA and genetics?

Comment

New Guy On the Block.

I'm just the new guy and wanted to give a short background of who I am.
      I have been on the NET since the early 70's. This was when It was private.
      I also got fired up my someone’s comment about President Bush. I did not even know how to answer his post (correct procedure). So I did it here. sorry, dc

Comment

Originally posted by darroll
        I also got fired up my someone’s comment about President Bush. I did not even know how to answer his post (correct procedure). So I did it here. sorry, dc
        You're allowed to post just about anything you want on this board. If you want proof of that, just look at all the spam postings lately.

However, I don't think it's very productive to get into political or religious debates here when we're trying to discuss and learn about genetic genealogy. It doesn't even matter to me what political or religious viewpoint you're coming from. It just creates friction and detracts from the main purpose of this board.

But as I started off with in this posting, you can post what you want.

Mike Maddi

Comment

The difference is that the spammers couldn't give a darn about genetics and genealogy -- they only care that they found a new board to spam on and don't care what the topic is. And, we can easily report their posts and get them removed.

For those who do care about genetics and genealogy, please do try to stick to the topics of the board

Comment

Welcome Darroll!

Comment

If you do not have a 12 point match, you are not related. It’s simple as that.
              Keep in mind that related is a relative term, so to speak. Some of us are interested in human relationships even beyond a couple hundred years ago--not just families but clans, tribes, even peoples.

At 12 markers, my closest matches were 11/12, in Romania and Russia. Quite meaningless. At 25 markers, my closest matches were 20/25, but at least they were all in Poland (my own ancestry). At 37 markers, my closest matches are 31/37, and all cluster around the Carpathian Mountains of southern Poland. This is not an unsatisfying result.

Comment

Originally posted by lgmayka
                Keep in mind that related is a relative term, so to speak. Some of us are interested in human relationships even beyond a couple hundred years ago--not just families but clans, tribes, even peoples.

At 12 markers, my closest matches were 11/12, in Romania and Russia. Quite meaningless. At 25 markers, my closest matches were 20/25, but at least they were all in Poland (my own ancestry). At 37 markers, my closest matches are 31/37, and all cluster around the Carpathian Mountains of southern Poland. This is not an unsatisfying result.
                This has been my experience, as well.

I got much better information at 37 markers than I did at 25 and 12.

12-marker matches tend to fizzle at 25 markers and then to fade to mist at 37.

(And in German, Mist means manure.)

Comment

I’m the new guy on the block. I was raised on a farm on the left coast, some summers were spent in Wyoming. In 1959 I decided it was time to vote. I went to their office, was asked for my signature, signed the card and left. A few weeks later I got my Democrat voter registration card. I still have the same card today. I sure don’t follow my party’s affiliation though. I was asked a question when I was in school by my teacher. She asked me if someone blacked my eye, ran and hid in the outhouse, what would I do? I told her that I would push over the outhouse and pull the guy out by his heel (does this sound like Iraq?), then adjust his attitude. She replied NO, you go home and report it to your Mother or Myself. I got their number real quick.
                  I had my Y-DNA tested by FTDNA. The 12 point test matched a cousin that was 8 or 9 fathers away. This was a perfect match. I can not accept the notion that there are mutations in the 12 point Y-DNA test. I think DNA testing is more powerful than we give this procedure credit for. My thoughts are: this is just a case “if it don’t fit, force it”, or I do not have to do anymore genealogy research because it is close. If you do not have a 12 point match, you are not related. It’s simple as that. Thanks, dc
                  That's how I feel-if you don't match you aren't related!! That's what I try to tell all the unrelated knucklehead enemies who try to boss me around.I tested my female DNA-she's from the Tyrol Alps area which was owned by Austria,but half was later given to North Italy,who is as nationalistic as anyone else and wouldn't allow the Germanpeople to teach German language in that area and shut down German newspapers and German Clubs, then finally moved thousands of the AlpineGermans to Germany.That was back during WorldWar1.That's just a little history of the area where my mother originated.Oetzi,the Iceman lived there 5,000 yrs. ago,but there was no Italy or major nations back then,just land.Now these people live in many nations-but I think it's nice to have a homeland.

Comment

It depends on what you mean by a 12 point match. If you mean they have to match exactly at 12 markers, that's wrong. Mutations along these markers' sites can happen at any time. And when one does, the father and son will have an 11/12 match

Comment

accidentally double posted
                      Last edited by paitenceofjob; 16 June 2006, 10:05 PM.

Comment

family is enigma

You did better than I darroll, my family matched at the closest 2 of 12 of all in the data base (with releases) 25 marker test. Not only that We originate from locales that are very hard to explain considering the way our family members look. My (full) brother and I are very light olive complexion (i.e. reflect light in winter) good tan if we sit in sun alot in summer. Our half brothers and sisters (same father) are all blond/blue white on white!!!! Yet the haplogroup 'suggests' E3a (main haplogroup for African Americans) and Pacific Islander. I feel cheated---where is my natural tan!

Comment

well, here's a counterexample.

I have a 35/37 match (my one one) who was only 10/12!

So obviously not matching closely at 12 markers can be deceiving. You can, in fact, be related.

Comment

You definitely have something wrong. I would start all over again. You definitely don’t match with the other person tested. Are you comparing father son, father son?. I’m talking about your father. Are you trying to compare to a cousin?. We will need more information. I think you had the 25 point test done. As far as your failure to tan. Some lighter skin people do not tan well. Remember that we get a few genes from each parent. This could answer a fact that a close sibling tans well and you don’t. dc

Comment

reply: Norman

Norman,
                              When I was studying DNA while waiting for my 12 point test. I read that radiation and other long term events causes DNA mutations. Well due to my (non medical) job related exposure to large amounts of radiation I thought that I would not be related to anyone in the family due to messed up what ever. We played football with radio active isotopes. We did not know at the time it COULD prove dangerous later. It think in my old age it just made me crabby… Good excuse.. My father is gone, so I had to have a male family member tested. We are running out of these male creatures so I recruited my third cousin.
                              To my dismay our DNA was a twelve point match. As far as this testing, I feel that in our case, what I read does not really apply to all. I was very happy as I felt this test proved that at least we are good thru eight or nine fathers. I do admit that the surname is verified.. but.. I could have the first names (males) wrong in our tree. If I would of not had a twelve point match, I would of restarted my tree from scratch. FTDNA notifies you if you have a match. I feel if they do not contact you, sorry, but you don’t have a match. dc

Comment

Working...
                              X