• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • thedrsec
    FTDNA Customer
    • Feb 2018

I am so confused...please help

So quickest version...didn't know who my father was and my mother was adopted. Since then, I have found my father and my mothers father (although deceased). I took the test with Ancestry.com and uploaded these results at other places.According to WeGene my Paternal Haplogroup is R1b1a1a2a1a2c1f3a1 and Maternal is R0.

Building a family tree is tough because I get super far and then begin to question a few key people.

Growing up I didn't know my heritage but I always assumed I had either a lot of Spanish or native american (my birth certificate just has an X). I have no body hair and can't grow facial hair either. I am really dark all over and never go in the sun. I attached a pic and that color is over my whole body even though I don't wear shorts or go around with shirt off. I also added my Paternal grandmother in which I believe this DNA comes from.

I am not looking for some exotic ancestry....I am just really curious because all of these seem way different and it seems like I should have blonde hair and blue eyes lol

Ancestry.com

Great Britain 63%
    Europe West 20%
    Low Confidence Region
    Iberian Peninsula 6%
    Ireland 4%
    Italy/Greece 3%
    Europe East 2%
    Scandinavia < 1%
    Asia South < 1%

FamilyTreeDNA

West Middle East < 2%
    European 98%
    British Isles 44%
    East Europe 0%
    Finland 0%
    Scandinavia 5%
    Southeast Europe 3%
    Iberia 9%
    West and Central Europe 37%

My Heritage DNA

Europe
    98.4%
    English
    79.4%
    North and West European
    2.9%
    Finnish
    0%
    Irish, Scottish, and Welsh
    0%
    Scandinavian
    0%
    Iberian
    16.1%
    Central American
    1.6%

DNA.Land

Northwest European 53%
    Balkan 22%
    Southwestern European 15%
    Northeast European 8.9%
    North Slavic 5.7%
    Finnish 3.1%
    Ambiguous 1.6%

DNA Tribes

Continental Core Mixture -
    European 80%
    North African and Middle Eastern 16.7%
    Siberian 2%
    Asian 0.7%
    Amerindian 0.4%
    South Asian 0.2%

Regional Cluster Mixture-
    Northwest European 44.3%
    Finnish 15%
    Italian Greek 10%
    Basque 8.3%
    Iberian 7.9%
    Lebanese Cypriot 4.5%
    Sephardic Jewish 3.9%
    Turko-Persian 2.6%
    West Siberian 1.2%
    Other 2.3%

WeGene

French 45.70%
    Spanish 36.21%
    Finnish/Russian 18.04%

Eurogenes K36 Admixture Proportions

Population
    Amerindian 0.06
    Basque 1.28
    Central_Euro 4.27
    East_Balkan 3.97
    East_Central_Euro 6.20
    Eastern_Euro 2.68
    Fennoscandian 8.51
    French 6.36
    Iberian 22.13
    Italian 7.92
    North_Atlantic 16.70
    North_Caucasian 6.48
    North_Sea 12.96
    West_Caucasian 0.38
    West_Med 0.10
    Attached Files
  • travers
    FTDNA Customer
    • Oct 2010

You're maternal haplogroup is not RO. Ancestry doesn't test the mitochondrial enough (if at all) so there will not be enough data for any website to give you a maternal haplogroup from your Ancestry results. As far as the rest if you know now who your parents are you should be able to build a family tree for them. Not everyone with European ancestry has light skin, light hair and blue eyes.

Comment

• thedrsec
      FTDNA Customer
      • Feb 2018

Originally posted by travers View Post
      You're maternal haplogroup is not RO. Ancestry doesn't test the mitochondrial enough (if at all) so there will not be enough data for any website to give you a maternal haplogroup from your Ancestry results. As far as the rest if you know now who your parents are you should be able to build a family tree for them. Not everyone with European ancestry has light skin, light hair and blue eyes.
      Do you think it would be beneficial for me to do a DNA test with another group? As far as the family tree, unfortunately, I know more than they do and my Grandmother who could probably help a little died yesterday. I am kind of stuck on one person and haven't found anyone who could break the code. When you say that my halogroup is not RO, do you mean it isn't or that site wouldn't know because of how Ancestry.com test? Thanks for the reply.

Comment

• travers
        FTDNA Customer
        • Oct 2010

Originally posted by thedrsec View Post
        Do you think it would be beneficial for me to do a DNA test with another group? As far as the family tree, unfortunately, I know more than they do and my Grandmother who could probably help a little died yesterday. I am kind of stuck on one person and haven't found anyone who could break the code. When you say that my halogroup is not RO, do you mean it isn't or that site wouldn't know because of how Ancestry.com test? Thanks for the reply.
        Ancestry doesn't test your mitochondrial DNA, so it's not possible to be given a maternal haplogroup with your Ancestry results. My guess is WeGene just spits out a default R0 result when there is no data. The mitochondrial DNA is not that important usually for genealogy but if you wish to test it you can do it here with a mtdna test. 23andme can give you a maternal haplogroup if you test with them. But if you can afford it I would test at all testing companies. I have tested at 23andme, Family Tree DNA and Ancestry.com and also transferred my Family Tree DNA results to MyHeritage. You might also want to do a Y-DNA test at Family Tree DNA, although it is up to you based on your budget how much testing you are willing to do.

You have some names to work with maybe you can find someone to help with your tree. DNA will only help to a point.

Comment

• mollyblum
          FTDNA Customer
          • Mar 2012

You could have Greek ancestry or some kind of Mediterranean ancestry. The Balkan could include Greece & some Islands & you have some Iberian (Spain & Portugal) Ancestry. Or you could be Italian.

Just bc you have some Northern or Western European does not mean your phenotype will necessarily be blonde/blue eyed. Genetics is much more complex & random. You may inherit a recessive trait or you may take after a great grandfather. You have no way of knowing.

Comment

Working...
          X