Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help required!

Hi,

I recently ordered a Family Finder test from FTDNA, which would take about 6 weeks to process.

- If I want to order an MTFullSequence or Y test, would they use from the sample which is stored, or will they send a new kit? The reason I ask is that I am from India and the kit takes 22 days to reach me and 22 days back to US. I am looking at options to avoid spending more time

- In the list of all the tests, the MTFullSequence is termed as best for Genealogy and History but not Ancestry, while other tests have Ancestry listed next to it. Is that accurate? Would it give me all the information for my Mother's line?

- What would be the major difference between Y-67 and Y-111. Would it make a major difference with Y-111 then with Y-37 or Y-67? The reason I ask is that I do not want to keep doing the expense on a regular basis and want to get everything done in one go. So If anyone feels that Y-67 would not give me enough information and I might have to get Y-111 done later for matches, please let me know.

- Lastly, there are a lot of deals with Family Finder test tagged to it, but does anyone have coupons for individual tests like MTFullSequence and Y-111, as I might have to get it done over 2 months to manage costs. Also, there are no deals for MTFullSequence + Y-111.

Any help with the above is highly appreciated. Also, if you feel that any reading material could give me more info about the same and correct my understanding, if inaccurate, please share the link for the same.

Regards,
    Vish

If I want to order an MTFullSequence or Y test, would they use from the sample which is stored, or will they send a new kit?
    They will use the same sample if it is deemed good.

In the list of all the tests, the MTFullSequence is termed as best for Genealogy and History but not Ancestry, while other tests have Ancestry listed next to it.
    mtDNA is the "longest" view of DNA, because of very slow mutation rate.It is difficult to determine anything of personal relationships unless you have a known or suspected group of women who have tested, to compare.

- What would be the major difference between Y-67 and Y-111. Would it make a major difference with Y-111 then with Y-37 or Y-67?
    It depends upon your goals: you will get a haplotype and group from as little as 12 markers, and it will not change from 12 - 111 markers. But the "Matching" process is almost useless below 37 markers, although some disagree with me. The estimates of how many gens separate one tester from another's possible common ancestor are much more accurate from 67 to 111 markers. Think of the larger tests as showing more "recent" mutations that might help narrow down the time-range, theoretically. It is expensive to test what I am telling you, because it can be proved by having a known Y related man test at that level for comparision. But unlike atDNA, it cannot generate a relationship range, since yDNA can mutate even between a father and son. So it is possible for a man to more closely match STRs with a uncle or grandfather than with a father. But the TiP estimates between 111 testers are more realistic: 12 markers may show 0 distance, 37 may show 2, but a 111 compared with one of my fourth cousins is a near-perfect estimate of 4. We share the same 3rd great grandfather from genealogical research, which is now bolstered by subsequent over-67 marker testing.

None are as accurate as explicitly tested SNPs in genomic tests, but that takes you into need for a SNP advisor, and lab results outside of FTDNA will never be reflected on your kit. At this time, ySTR results show in any Y project that you may join, but not SNP results other than a "refined" terminal SNP, because SNP tests can be for one, or for many thousands. Once your Y haplo is determined, you can join a Y haplo project where further SNP tests might be suggested.

I cannot help you with the coupon issue, sorry.

Blaine Bettinger's book The Family Tree Guide to DNA Testing and Genetic Genealogy is better han anything online or printed that I have seen. I quibble with his confidence in finding Native American confirmations with DNA, but there is so much disagreement and so many rosily optimistic "conclusions" posted online and seen on TV presentations, that his more cautious approach is the best I have seen.
    Last edited by clintonslayton76; 25 February 2018, 02:22 PM. Reason: additional details, spelling

Comment

Thank you for the information!

Comment

The only time I have seen coupons is during the end of year sale (about mid-Nov. to end of Dec.), when almost all tests are discounted. During that time, when you log in to each kit you manage, you should see a link to an extra coupon code, which you can use when ordering (in addition to the sale prices then in effect). The coupons vary as to which test they apply, and the amount. Over the last couple of years, there has been a spreadsheet kept online, where people can either put up a coupon code they won't use, or find one that they can use that someone else has entered there. Sometimes people post coupon codes in the forums during the end of year sale.

Other sales occur during the rest of the year. Occasionally there is a "flash" sale, or other unscheduled sale. But in the past there have been sales for DNA Day (April), Mother's day (May - usually for mtDNA tests), Father's day (June - usually for Y-DNA tests), and I believe sometimes one in the latter part of the summer. Just earlier this month, there was a Family Finder sale for Valentine's Day, which was then extended for a few days.

Just keep your eyes open for posts about sales in these forums, or a banner on your Dashboard page when you log in. There are blogs which will post about sales, also, such as Roberta Estes' "DNAeXplained" blog. And, the FTDNA Facebook page and other genetic-genealogy oriented Facebook pages may have posts about sales, as well.

It is wise to have a plan about who you need to test, and which tests you need from those people. While I haven't read the book that clintonslayton76 recommended, it gets high marks everywhere I've seen it mentioned.

Personally, I made out a spreadsheet with all my ancestral couples (immigrants to U.S.), from 2nd g-grandparents to grandparents, then listing which tests would be useful to use to research them, and then which descendants could provide the DNA for each test. It was a way of visualizing a testing plan that worked for me.

Comment

Working...
        X