DNA for dummies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DNA for dummies

I am a senior citizen vainly trying to figure out how to find DNA matches for my maternal side only. I have had both the MTDna and Autosumnal tests done and uploaded to FTDNA. I am trying to find cousins in England/Ireland to fill in blanks in my English/Irish ancestry. My interest is strictly genealogical.

I see a lot of X matches which I know are paternal as I see them on my Ancestry DNA.

I have a gazillion known paternal French-Canadian cousins of varying degrees so am not too interested in finding those matches.

Is there an easy way to find maternal matches that don't take an intellectual guru to find?
    Thanks for any help
    Singer35

Originally posted by Singer35 View Post
    I am a senior citizen vainly trying to figure out how to find DNA matches for my maternal side only.

Is there an easy way to find maternal matches that don't take an intellectual guru to find?
    Thanks for any help
    Singer35
    Do you have any relatives on your Maternal side?
    Genealogical generations and age-generations can get out of sync - if for example, your grandfather was the oldest sibling, and had a younger sibling 20 years his junior -- so even tho you mention being a senior citizen - if your mother or any of her siblings are still alive, try to talk some of them into doing the FamilyFinder test.
    Or if not - are any of your first cousins on your mother's side still alive?
    If you can get any of those to test, you can do "In Common With" one of them, which may help.

Are any of the Paternal Cousins who match relatively close?
    If so, try "Not In Common with" - see if that seems to reveal anything.

I had my first cousin test - and also several relatives we share -- and she recently had a match of 292 cM that I do not share - nor do any of the relatives she and I have in common - so is clearly on the "other side". (Then she had another match, same surname as the 292 cM one, that shares 504 cM and based on chromosome browser, is likely the first one's father)
    She first tested back in 2014, and suddenly we have this.

Could happen for you - could take longer, could happen much sooner.
    Best of luck!

Comment

Working...
    X