DNA results and logic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DNA results and logic

I have results of 3 DNA test for myself, my sister and my paternal 1st cousin. I have a number of matches who match all 3 of us. It seems logical to me that our common ancestor will be in my paternal and not maternal line. I wonder if some one agrees with this - I have been caught out before by applying logic to DNA!

Thanks

Usually you will be safe in assuming, but there will be times where you could be wrong as they could be related to the 1st cousin through a different set of ancestors than they are related to you.

Comment

Originally posted by rogtut View Post
      I have results of 3 DNA test for myself, my sister and my paternal 1st cousin. I have a number of matches who match all 3 of us. It seems logical to me that our common ancestor will be in my paternal and not maternal line. I wonder if some one agrees with this - I have been caught out before by applying logic to DNA!

Thanks
      What are the predicted relationships or generations to the Most Recent Common ancestor (MRCA) ?

Unless they are really close, I would be skeptical. I find that a lot of distant matches are not IBD, but are actually from the parents having lines to the same common ancestor.

Jack

Comment

Originally posted by rogtut View Post

Thanks
        Lets say that your paternal 1st cousin is the child of your paternal uncle. Are you certain that your uncle's wife is not related to your mother? If your uncle's wife is related to your mother then the common ancestor could be on either line.

Comment

DNA results and logic

Originally posted by georgian1950 View Post
          What are the predicted relationships or generations to the Most Recent Common ancestor (MRCA) ?

Unless they are really close, I would be skeptical. I find that a lot of distant matches are not IBD, but are actually from the parents having lines to the same common ancestor.

Jack
          Thanks Jack

According to Gedmatch the MRCA should be at the GGgrandparent level. Would you say this is close or distant?
          Roger

Comment

DNA results and logic

[QUOTE=jimbirk;448697]Lets say that your paternal 1st cousin is the child of your paternal uncle. Are you certain that your uncle's wife is not related to your mother? If your uncle's wife is related to your mother then the common ancestor could be on either line.[/Q

Absolutely certain in this instance but worth bearing in mind for the future.

Comment

Originally posted by travers View Post
              Usually you will be safe in assuming, but there will be times where you could be wrong as they could be related to the 1st cousin through a different set of ancestors than they are related to you.
              Thanks

This seems a good start point as it means I can rule out my maternal family and I have to start somewhere!

Comment

Working...
              X