Ashkenazi %

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ashkenazi %

I started out on a search to see if I had Sephardic ancestry (Spanish ggmother) and after I uploaded my original 23andMe data to Gedmatch I have been surprised at the number of matches that have Ashkenazi ancestry, the best matches with of to 130cM total segments (10% Ashkenazi) and yet I have none myself. I certainly have Iberian ancestry on my paternal side but do these Ashkenazi % simply mean that a single relative of mine married into those families?

I am currently waiting my FTDNA results with interest.

Thank you in advance

Since you have no Ashkenazi results yourself, I wouldn't put much stock in the fact that you have lots of DNA matches with very low percentages in Ashkenazi. A match (even a reasonably close one) having 10% Ashkenazi doesn't mean you match on that 10% Ashkenazi. If you do have Sephardic ancestry, then it's not surprising you have lots of matches who also have Ashkenazi ancestry. As they are both Jewish populations, it would not be unusual for people of Sephardic and Ashkenazi to intermarry in America and therefore have children who are both. That doesn't necessary mean you are Ashkenazi, or Sephardic for that matter. Do you have any evidence that you have Sephardic ancestry?

Comment

Originally posted by Malo View Post
      I started out on a search to see if I had Sephardic ancestry (Spanish ggmother) and after I uploaded my original 23andMe data to Gedmatch I have been surprised at the number of matches that have Ashkenazi ancestry, the best matches with of to 130cM total segments (10% Ashkenazi) and yet I have none myself. I certainly have Iberian ancestry on my paternal side but do these Ashkenazi % simply mean that a single relative of mine married into those families?

I am currently waiting my FTDNA results with interest.

Thank you in advance
      You might be correct but you need more information. It is not very reliable, but FTDNA's MO might reveal Sephardic information. Have you checked family surnames to see if they are on Sephardic lists. Some Sephardics moved to eastern Europe and 'became' Ashkenazi. In searching for Jewish ancestry, I would suggest Gedmatch's Eurogenes.

Comment

Ashkenazi %

Originally posted by Germanica View Post
        Since you have no Ashkenazi results yourself, I wouldn't put much stock in the fact that you have lots of DNA matches with very low percentages in Ashkenazi. A match (even a reasonably close one) having 10% Ashkenazi doesn't mean you match on that 10% Ashkenazi. If you do have Sephardic ancestry, then it's not surprising you have lots of matches who also have Ashkenazi ancestry. As they are both Jewish populations, it would not be unusual for people of Sephardic and Ashkenazi to intermarry in America and therefore have children who are both. That doesn't necessary mean you are Ashkenazi, or Sephardic for that matter. Do you have any evidence that you have Sephardic ancestry?
        Thank you for your reply Germanica. I have no stories/customs passed down at all. I know very little about my ggGrandmother. I believe she may have been born in Avila, Spain. A cousin has had Berber, Middle East and Timbuktu markers apparently and anything I have is purely speculative on my part at this time.

Comment

Ashkenazi %

Originally posted by josh w. View Post
          You might be correct but you need more information. It is not very reliable, but FTDNA's MO might reveal Sephardic information. Have you checked family surnames to see if they are on Sephardic lists. Some Sephardics moved to eastern Europe and 'became' Ashkenazi. In searching for Jewish ancestry, I would suggest Gedmatch's Eurogenes.
          Thanks Josh. I think the names I have are both Spanish and possibly converso. There is nothing to hang your hat on so to speak.

Comment

Working...
          X