Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• YDNA37 question

Hi everyone,
    Apologies if this is an obvious question, but I haven’t been able to find an answer elsewhere.
    My Y-DNA test results have come back as follows
    *37 markers – 5 matches – all with a genetic distance of 4
    *25 markers – 62 matches – all with a genetic distance of 2
    *12 markers – 356 matches – all with a genetic distance of 1 or 0
    I was expecting that the 37 markers test would show those more closely related to me – in terms of ‘genetic distance’ - but the opposite seems to be the case i.e. the 12 marker test has produced 356 matches that are all closely related?
    Am I understanding this correctly? (probably not )
    Thanks
    Adam

Originally posted by AdamTee View Post
    Hi everyone,
    Apologies if this is an obvious question, but I haven’t been able to find an answer elsewhere.
    I was expecting that the 37 markers test would show those more closely related to me – in terms of ‘genetic distance’ - but the opposite seems to be the case i.e. the 12 marker test has produced 356 matches that are all closely related?
    Thanks
    Adam
    The higher u test the better the match so if u had 67 markers those matches would be better and more closely related the more markers less matches but more closer

Comment

Originally posted by AdamTee View Post
      Hi everyone,
      Thanks
      Adam
      The 12 marker test has produced 356 matches who do not differ from you by more than one marker on any of those 12 markers -
      -- someone matching you exactly on those 12 could differ from you by up to 37-12 = 25 on the 37-marker test (in which case, they correctly do not show up in your list of matches for that level)
      SO - what you are seeing is that most of those folks who matched you at 12 markers and have tested beyond 12 markers were not really particularly close at all - they just happened to match you on those specific 12 markers.

Also note: the maximum "genetic difference" for matches which will be shown -- ie markers that are different / differences between corresponding markers -- differs for the different levels tested - with more slack allowed to be shown, the more markers that are tested. (poorly phrased, hope it makes sense, and/or someone with better phrasing skill will restate)
      Last edited by loobster; 24 December 2017, 12:51 PM.

Comment

Working...
      X