Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• y-DNA and Family Finder

Hello All,

I first had a 37 marker y-dna test...had a few matches. The closest one being 1 genetic distance away in the 25 marker range and that held going into the 37 marker test. He had the same surname as well. Others were 3 - 4 genetic differences already with different surnames.

I then tested with Family Finder with closest person being 2nd-4th cousin 86 and 38.

However, when I do an advance find with y-dna and Family Finder the person who was 1 genetic difference does show up. He has Family Finder results but not a match with the "x" in the column.

So I conclude if I took a 67 marker test or we both went to 111....we would find more genetic distance as it appears we are not of the same family? Is this correct?

Perhaps understood if close match in y-dna - but we were also listed as same Haplogroup.

With same surname, 1 genetic difference at 37, same haplogroup, I had hoped to be able to have chance to find more history....

I have not been able to contact him so at this time planned to hold off on 67 or 111.

So for now, I plan to purchase the SNP pack to see where that takes me.

Thanks,

Y-37 test is very generous. If you have a match there, it's not near cousin. And the difference increases several degrees when there is more markers. I think that Y-111 match have seldom same surname. But if you are a Y-111 match you can be such near cousin that you find each others on family tree. I think so. There are lots of things which can change the situation. A match can be on other haplogroup.

Comment

Rather than get a SNP Pack, and your budget/interests allow

Get the Big Y on sale , which right now also includes a FREE upgrade to 111, which for you is a $168 value (I think).

Big Y is $575 but...
      $475 on sale and with $50 coupon, $425 (includes the $168 upgrade).

I dont know which SNP Pack but if its around $100 (down the drain eventually) that's a bit much. And if you are in the R family, you will need a second SNP Pack.

But other SNP Packs are inexpensive so it depends a little bit on which haplogroup you are in.

~~~~~
      In general, as you add more Y markers, your genetic distance diverges. But not always. I have a 35/37 who held up to 109/111. And I have occasionally seen people with more matches at 67 than at 37.

If you are testing for YDNA, you should not be expecting an "X" match with Adv Matches. X does not pass from father to son etc. (Personally I find Adv Matches to be erratic. Some results are very wrong).

The fact that your match is found in both YDNA and FF is a good sign. YDNA matches can go back a long time, even if 37/37. Being a FF match tends to suggest that it closer rather than farther away.

But I am not sure about your posting.
      "1 genetic distance away in the 25 marker range and that held going into the 37 marker test." So that means he was 36/37 or just on your 37 list but further down?
      "Family Finder with closest person being 2nd-4th cousin 86 and 38." Is this the same person?
      Last edited by mabrams; 15 December 2017, 09:58 AM.

Comment

My apologies for the confusion:

I know the kit of the person (part of project), I was 1 genetic difference at 37 markers...36/37. The str I was different at was DYS458. If I counted right that is in the 25 marker test at the minimum.

The X for FF match in the advance match means not a match if hovering the mouse over it....In the column for Y-DNA37 has a 1 in the column of FF has an X meaning not a match. The mtDNA column is blank and the Haplogroup column is the same. So either not a relative or just very far back relation?

My Haplo-group is not R as I was expecting with 99% European, 66% British Isles, 25% West and Central Europe....then the 8% Scandinavia....which I guess is where my Haplo of I-M253 comes from. Making it harder to track relatives with my surname. The 253 SNP pack is $84.

And the person who is closest in FF is not same person and is female so ydna/surname(do not recognize) is out of picture.

I will have to consider the Big Y/111 - it is still a decent expense.

Thanks for the responses!

Comment

Y-DNA matches may be too many generations back to show as a match on Family Finder. I have known 5th cousins who do not show as a match on Family Finder.

If you do order Big-Y you will also get an upgrade to Y-DNA111, if you order during the current sale.

Comment

Originally posted by mabrams View Post
            If you are testing for YDNA, you should not be expecting an "X" match with Adv Matches. X does not pass from father to son etc. (Personally I find Adv Matches to be erratic. Some results are very wrong).
            Indeed, if you select "X-Match" in "Advanced Matches" you will get a list containing *all* FF-matches, not just those that match you on the X.

Comment

Working...
            X