No announcement yet.

Coupons question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking at the comments to the blog post I linked in my last post, and one commenter found out via the kit owner that he had received an email that his kit had been upgraded:
    Becky C on November 16, 2017 at 1:44 am said:
    I was just reading your Blog and received an email from someone I ordered a Big Y for on Monday. They received an email today saying their Y-67 was being upgraded to Y-111 for free as part of the Big Y! Great News!
    Keep your eye out for an email to confirm that your Big Y purchase did upgrade the STR level to Y-111. If it doesn't, I would contact customer support to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by KATM View Post
      Looking at the comments to the blog post I linked in my last post, and one commenter found out via the kit owner that he had received an email that his kit had been upgraded:

Keep your eye out for an email to confirm that your Big Y purchase did upgrade the STR level to Y-111. If it doesn't, I would contact customer support to fix it.
      Apparently it didn't work for us. No e-mail, and the order history includes the big Y, but not Y-111.

Comment

Originally posted by abuelita View Post
        Apparently it didn't work for us. No e-mail, and the order history includes the big Y, but not Y-111.
        A member of a project I keep tabs on ordered a Big Y as well. He got the free upgrade to Y111 as well. Based on what I see from his kit. This upgrade takes place once your Big Y is batched. Since your Big Y order has not batched you won't see this Y111 upgrade email until then. FTDNA batches their tests on Mondays and Wednesdays. So wait until Monday.

I heard that FTDNA got new equipment and this STR upgrade could be related to whatever changes they are doing. I don't think it will be done on those Big Y orders that are still pending as I know of 2 who are still waiting. This must be for the new orders being done during this holiday sale.

Comment

Originally posted by The_Contemplator View Post
          A member of a project I keep tabs on ordered a Big Y as well. He got the free upgrade to Y111 as well. Based on what I see from his kit. This upgrade takes place once your Big Y is batched. Since your Big Y order has not batched you won't see this Y111 upgrade email until then. FTDNA batches their tests on Mondays and Wednesdays. So wait until Monday.

I heard that FTDNA got new equipment and this STR upgrade could be related to whatever changes they are doing. I don't think it will be done on those Big Y orders that are still pending as I know of 2 who are still waiting. This must be for the new orders being done during this holiday sale.
          Okay. Will check in again on Monday.

I thought this was probably done in FT's own self interest. Weren't they going to investigate estimation of STRs from big Y results? Reversing the usual direction of prediction. For that, wouldn't they need a substantial base of people who have had conventional Y-111 tests as well as big Ys?

(Even if they just want to tune up their haplogroup estimates based on STRs, their usual procedure, they need a good number of double-testers as a reference.)

Comment

[----]
            (Even if they just want to tune up their haplogroup estimates based on STRs, their usual procedure, they need a good number of double-testers as a reference.)
            Looking at tea leaves in my cup, I do not see any future for estimating SNPs from STRs.

Mr. W

Comment

It probably is somehow related to that. Or they are going to extract the STRs from the Big Y data with their new equipment. Then whatever is missing may simply get a smaller STR test to look at those areas. Not a lot is known as FTDNA does not communicate much to the customers.

Comment

Originally posted by The_Contemplator View Post
                It probably is somehow related to that. Or they are going to extract the STRs from the Big Y data with their new equipment. Then whatever is missing may simply get a smaller STR test to look at those areas.
                Oh, yes. That makes sense. They could be using this group (people who order big Y during this sale) as a test sample for a new procedure.

Comment

Oh, yes. That makes sense. They could be using this group (people who order big Y during this sale) as a test sample for a new procedure.
                  Et voilĂ !

Comment

Though from what I have heard they can't reliably extract all the STRs from the Big Y raw data so perhaps they are trying to get a larger Y111 database that they can use for whatever future changes they are planning for the Big Y. Maybe they will change it from being an add-on test to being an upgrade.

Comment

Those in my family who had Y DNA tests, but not Big Y, have just received an e-mail with the official announcement:
                      "When you buy a Big Y this holiday we will automatically upgrade you to Y-111 for FREE!"

"Must have a Y-DNA test for the free upgrade to apply. To purchase Big Y, you must log in to your account and go to upgrades."

Mr. W

Comment

Working...
                      X