Coupons question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coupons question

I am interested in upgrading, and I keep seeing references to coupons. I found a coupon list and tried using the codes at checkout, but it's not working. Can anyone fill me in, on how this works?

Possibly the coupons were already used, but not marked as such.

My family has some coupons we are not going to use this week. Please send me a private message here in the forum, what is the coupon you wanted to use, and likely I can PM you one.

Mr. W

Comment

Originally posted by macp View Post
      I am interested in upgrading, and I keep seeing references to coupons. I found a coupon list and tried using the codes at checkout, but it's not working. Can anyone fill me in, on how this works?
      If you tried using the coupon at checkout, that's the problem. On the page that shows you what you've ordered and what the cost is there a not very obvious box beneath the cost. You're supposed to enter the coupon code in that box before proceeding to the checkout page.

Comment

macp:
        Have you logged into your account? On your dashboard page, there is a black button to click on for "Holiday Reward," which will take you to a page with a code and description of the test it is good for.

These reward coupons have a one-week use, and another is issued each week, usually for a different test. You may not get a coupon for the test you want this time, but may in following weeks. Also keep checking that coupon list, as more may be added during the week.

I thought I read somewhere that the coupons could not be used for upgrades, but can't seem to find where I saw that.

Comment

Originally posted by KATM View Post
          [----]
          I thought I read somewhere that the coupons could not be used for upgrades, but can't seem to find where I saw that.
          There are two buttons below the discount code, and below them there is

*Coupons may not be applied to upgrades.

Sales used to vary, and sometimes they were mostly for the upgrades.

Mr. W

Comment

OK guys, thanks. I wanted to use it for an upgrade, but apparently that's out...

Comment

I don't see it showing on FTDNA's sale page, but both Roberta Estes and Debbie Kennett show on their blogs that mtDNA and Y-DNA upgrades are on sale, too (formatted as best as I could):

Upgrades
              ..................................Sale price...Regular price
              mt/mtPlus to FMS.............$119..........$159
              Big Y....................................$475......... $575
              Y-12 to Y-37.........................$69...........$109
              Y-25 to Y-37..........................$35...........$59
              Y-37 to Y-67...........................$79.........$109
              Y-37 to Y-111.......................$168.........$228
              Y-67 to Y-111.........................$99.........$129

Comment

I absolutely do not understand this. One of our coupons was for a full Y, and you can only order that as an "upgrade" after an STR test, right? So how could they then say no coupons can be used on upgrades?

Moreover the person who actually got that coupon has had no Y tests and so is ineligible anyhow (at least he's male), and the recipient of an mtDNA coupon has already had a full mtDNA, I'm female and I got a Y-111 coupon etc. etc. so it is apparently just random useless stuff that one is supposed to pass around? (We did post our coupons on the spreadsheet because we have no intention of even trying to use any of them.)

Comment

Originally posted by abuelita View Post
                  I absolutely do not understand this. One of our coupons was for a full Y, and you can only order that as an "upgrade" after an STR test, right? So how could they then say no coupons can be used on upgrades?

[----]
                  As far as the coupons are concerned, the only upgrades are:
                  • Y-DNA12 to Y-DNA25, Y-DNA37, Y-DNA67, Y-DNA111
                  • Y-DNA25 to Y-DNA37, Y-DNA67, Y-DNA111
                  • Y-DNA37 to Y-DNA67, Y-DNA111
                  • Y-DNA67 to Y-DNA111
                  • mtDNA Plus to mtFull (mtFull Sequence)

The above is not official, since I am not involved with FTDNA beyond being their customer.

Mr. W

P.S.
                  Yes, FTDNA does offer an upgrade from Y-DNA12 to Y-DNA25...
                  Last edited by dna; 15 November 2017, 09:52 PM.

Comment

[----]
                    Moreover the person who actually got that coupon has had no Y tests and so is ineligible anyhow (at least he's male), and the recipient of an mtDNA coupon has already had a full mtDNA, I'm female and I got a Y-111 coupon etc. etc. so it is apparently just random useless stuff that one is supposed to pass around? (We did post our coupons on the spreadsheet because we have no intention of even trying to use any of them.)
                    That is intentional.

The idea is that maybe someone else will use that coupon and start testing with FTDNA.

Most of females from my family have already done both Family Finder and mtFull Sequence tests. But over the years we used their coupons for Y DNA products, etc.

Mr. W

Comment

I think you mean that you got a coupon for the Big Y, not "full Y." You are right that as of now, you can't order the Big Y without having an STR test. In the sale prices shown for upgrades on Roberta Estes' blog and Debbie Kennett's blog, there is a sale price shown for a YDNA-111 to Big Y "upgrade" (technically, YDNA-111 is an STR test, and the Big Y is the ultimate SNP test at FTDNA, so not exactly a like-to-like upgrade - but I quibble). There are also coupons, such as the one you got, for a discount off of the price of a Big Y test, and that could be used by someone who had already done any STR test, whether 12, 25, 37, 67 or 111.

But - for an existing account to take advantage of this sale and the coupons, IF you wanted to order a Big Y, without spending too much to do the qualifying STR test, I think it's possible to:
                      1. first order a lower-priced Y-DNA test like a YDNA-12 (if you can manage that through a project or maybe by phoning FTDNA) or YDNA-25 (neither are shown in the sale), then
                      2. see that that order is received, and at that point
                      3. you can order the Big Y.

Someone else may have better information on that scenario.

You are also correct that the coupons are random, and meant to be shared with others.
                      Last edited by KATM; 15 November 2017, 10:43 PM.

Comment

I think you mean that you got a coupon for the Big Y, not "full Y." You are right that as of now, you can't order the Big Y without having an STR test. In the sale prices shown for upgrades on Roberta Estes' blog and Debbie Kennett's blog, there is a sale price shown for a YDNA-111 to Big Y "upgrade" (technically, YDNA-111 is an STR test, and the Big Y is the ultimate SNP test at FTDNA, so not exactly a like-to-like upgrade - but I quibble). There are also coupons, such as the one you got, for a discount off of the price of a Big Y test, and that could be used by someone who had already done any STR test, whether 12, 25, 37, 67 or 111.

But - for an existing account to take advantage of this sale and the coupons, IF you wanted to order a Big Y, without spending too much to do the qualifying STR test, I think it's possible to:
                        1. first order a lower-priced Y-DNA test like a YDNA-12 (if you can manage that through a project or maybe by phoning FTDNA) or YDNA-25 (neither are shown in the sale), then
                        2. see that that order is received, and at that point
                        3. you can order the Big Y.

Someone else may have better information on that scenario.

You are also correct that the coupons are random, and meant to be shared with others.
                        Based on a sample of only one (1 = my uncle), I recommend both Big Y and either Y-DNA67 or Y-DNA111.

Big Y helped to weed out those on different branches.

Y-DNA67 helped to determine how far in time his Big Y matches were. Actually, my uncle had Y-DNA111 and that helped too, since if somebody is not matching with 111 markers, then they are a very distant family, even when matching with Big Y and 67 markers (then it doesn't matter whether GD was 0 or 7 at 67 markers).

Mr. W

Comment

The Big Y is an add-on test and not an upgrade but yes it requires that you have an STR test done. There is a rumor going on that this may change next year. As mentioned, you could order a Y12 through a group project to get the cheapest one.

While the small print claims coupons can't be used on upgrades this is not always true. So I suggest trying it out first. Some can't be used on upgrades, but the more common ones can.

Which ever STR test you get, you don't need to wait for the results to arrive before being able to order a Big Y. You just need to wait until the test is batched. After that, the Big Y will be available for that kit.
                          Last edited by The_Contemplator; 15 November 2017, 11:36 PM.

Comment

Holy cow, look at this deal, described on Roberta Estes' blog today: "Best Big Y Deal EVER – Includes FREE 111 Upgrade at Family Tree DNA"

. . . I’ve just heard from Elliott Greenspan about the best deal EVER at Family Tree DNA, on the Big Y test that includes a FREE STR upgrade. I don’t think this has been announced officially, so please feel free to forward the link to this article! This deal is so good, I wish I was a male!!!

During the holiday sale which started last weekend, any customer who purchases the Big Y will receive a free upgrade to Y 111 from any level STR test. You MUST currently have a Y DNA test either ordered or completed in the system.

This means that if you don’t currently have a Y DNA test, and you’re a male (or have a male you want to test,) you can place a Y DNA test for any level and then go in and order a Big Y test, using any coupons. This deal is in ADDITION to any coupons you may have. You may have to wait a bit to order the Big Y until your regular Y DNA test order is registered in the system.
                            Free upgrade to 111 from ANY LEVEL of STR test! Woweee! I could have used that last year.

Added (after reading comments to the blog post): This is apparently a free upgrade, when you order a Big Y test.
                            Last edited by KATM; 16 November 2017, 08:24 AM.

Comment

Holy cow, look at this deal, described on Roberta Estes' blog today: "Best Big Y Deal EVER – Includes FREE 111 Upgrade at Family Tree DNA"
                              Okay on the strength of that we ordered another big Y (though we've never received results from the one in batch 774)
                              - It did accept a coupon.
                              - It did not mention that a 111 was included.

If it isn't, I'll be annoyed. Though in a common haplogroup, there are no matches on this kit at any level (even at 12) so we're definitely not doing this for any personal genealogical benefit. Just so the project manager has more research material.

We've never had any matches for any of our Ys, and only a few for two of the mts. No long-lost cousins located autosomally.

Comment

Working...
                              X