Kit number and Gedcom Number

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kit number and Gedcom Number

I have a Kit number form DNA testing with FTDNA. Is this my Gedcom number? If not how do I get my Gedcom number?

Register at gedmatch.com and upload your dna test results to gedmatch - you will receive a new kit number from gedmatch. Instructions for dowloading and uploading results you can found on gedmatch.

Comment

A "GEDCOM" is a type of file that is produced by a Family Tree software program (ie RootsMagic) which you have entered your ancestors. You have to build your tree and export/save it as a .ged file.

Your kit number at FamilyTreeDNA is only used within FamilyTreeDNA.

Are you wondering about the uploading GEDCOM section of Gedmatch website to obtain a number?

If in regards to Gedmatch, you upload your Family Finder Raw Data (Build36 Concatenated Raw Data) via the "Generic Fast Upload" and if you have a GEDCOM file (produced by a Family Tree software program) you use the "GEDCOM genealogy Upload"
      Last edited by prairielad; 9th November 2017, 08:53 PM.

Comment

Upload .ged file to Gedmatch

When I used Legacy 9 to create my .ged file it defaulted as using the ANSI character encoding. When I uploaded it to Gedmatch I got this message:
        NOTICE: This GEDCOM was created using character encoding 'ANSI'. GEDmatch stores data internally as UTF-8. If you find that some characters do not display properly, you may get better results if you set your software to export your GEDCOM using UTF-8 character encoding.

So I redid it using UTF-8. Don't forget to make yourself the point person for the Gedcom also.

Comment

Working...
        X