parent-child common family finder matches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• parent-child common family finder matches

I have done family finder tests for myself and my 2 daughters. I am their mother.
    My closest 2nd-4th cousin match and HIS son are my matches but neither one shows as any kind of cousin on either of my daughters' list of matches. How can this be? If they are my cousins then it follows that they are also my children's cousins I would have thought - what am I missing here?

Originally posted by esp View Post
    I have done family finder tests for myself and my 2 daughters. I am their mother.
    My closest 2nd-4th cousin match and HIS son are my matches but neither one shows as any kind of cousin on either of my daughters' list of matches. How can this be? If they are my cousins then it follows that they are also my children's cousins I would have thought - what am I missing here?
    Have you figured out who the common ancestor is with your '2nd-4th cousin' match?

Your kids are another generation back from the common ancestor, so the size of the matching segment with them may have been reduced enough that it is no longer a "matching segment".

Jack

Comment

Each child of yours only have 50% of your DNA, the other 50% of their DNA they receive from their father. Yes, all your cousins will be your children's cousins too on paper but genetically if the relationship is distant they might not share any DNA with that cousin.

Comment

Originally posted by travers View Post
        Each child of yours only have 50% of your DNA, the other 50% of their DNA they receive from their father. Yes, all your cousins will be your children's cousins too on paper but genetically if the relationship is distant they might not share any DNA with that cousin.
        Hello E.S.P.!

You are not missing anything, you just did not expect that the (detectable) shared autosomal DNA can go so rapidly to zero.

I highly recommend that you read the following article

http://isogg.org/wiki/Autosomal_DNA_statistics

It explains why beyond the 2nd cousin one might not see a relationship in the Family Finder.

It is a rather long read, so upon the first encounter, after reading the introduction, you may want to jump to the section Distribution of genealogical relationships for given amounts of shared DNA. There are many references listed, some of them might have a language or presentation that you find more suitable to your needs.

For a convenience of causal forum readers, I am including a direct reference to the most interesting table at the bottom of this post.

Mr. W

https://thegeneticgenealogist.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/Relationship_Chart_FINAL_August_2017.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by georgian1950 View Post
          Have you figured out who the common ancestor is with your '2nd-4th cousin' match?

Your kids are another generation back from the common ancestor, so the size of the matching segment with them may have been reduced enough that it is no longer a "matching segment".

Jack
          Thanks for taking the time to reply. I assume that the relationship is on our fathers' side because there is an Eastern European link. I have 65 shared centimorgans/28 longest block with the closest match and 47/20 with his son. There is no x-match. We want to determine the best way to try to find out if he is related via my paternal grandmother or via my grandfather.

Comment

Originally posted by dna View Post
            Hello E.S.P.!

You are not missing anything, you just did not expect that the (detectable) shared autosomal DNA can go so rapidly to zero.

I highly recommend that you read the following article

http://isogg.org/wiki/Autosomal_DNA_statistics

It explains why beyond the 2nd cousin one might not see a relationship in the Family Finder.

It is a rather long read, so upon the first encounter, after reading the introduction, you may want to jump to the section Distribution of genealogical relationships for given amounts of shared DNA. There are many references listed, some of them might have a language or presentation that you find more suitable to your needs.

For a convenience of causal forum readers, I am including a direct reference to the most interesting table at the bottom of this post.

Mr. W

https://thegeneticgenealogist.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/Relationship_Chart_FINAL_August_2017.jpg

Thank you very much for this - it is very helpful and interesting to see! This man is very likely my half cousin because my great-grandfather had a large family with a first wife who died before he married my g-grandmother. We are hoping to find a way to confirm this as he is an adoptee.

Comment

Working...
            X