Why do I have female matches for my Y-DNA results

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why do I have female matches for my Y-DNA results

I did a Y-DNA 37 test and I see that I have at least 2 matches with females on the matches list. How is this possible?

This is not a popular phenomenon , obviously

In the cases of my matches, and from what I have read here in the forum, there is a very simple explanation though.

The sex and usually name come from the lady who takes care of the kit on behalf of a her family member. Usually the profile has some explanation of the type: I am Ms. X X, but the DNA tested belongs to my son, father, brother etc.

Is it wrong? Yes.

Should and can it be corrected? Yes and yes. Sex change requires that the lady who administers the kit places a sex change request with FTDNA. Since the kit already has some Y DNA test associated with it, they will not require her to prove anything.

You can tell her (them) how to fix it.

Why? I have no idea why people list the name of the person who administers the kit instead of the person who provided DNA. Possibly they do not realize that the name and the contact e-mail can belong to two different people.

Mr. W

P.S.
    Sex change the other way is different. And of course with Y DNA results would be impossible.
    Last edited by dna; 30th October 2017, 10:02 AM.

Comment

I've seen this as well. The sex of the kit is not the issue. It is male due to the donor. The name is simply female because of what Mr. W has explained. The relative who manages the kit put her name on it as she paid for it or just manages it.

I think it has to do with being new to using this site. In other sites they would have an account with their name that can manage multiple DNA kits. FTDNA does not work that way so it is one kit per person. These female relatives might not realize it should be the donor's name or the donor expressed not to have their name on it and they don't know what to put.

This is not unique to female kit managers. Male kit managers do it as well but those are harder to notice because you just assume that male name goes with that Y-DNA tested kit.

Comment

In this day and age -- it is possible that the lady used to be a guy. Sex change does not change the DNA.

If they have Y-chromosome, they can do the test, whether they are currently a guy or a gal.

However, other suggestion - that the name is that of the manager - is also quite possible.

Comment

Maybe Ms. Smith bought the kit for Mr. John Doe. She controls the kit and message will be sent to her. When she replies she doesn't want you to be surprised when you get a message from Ms. Smith.

I have several kits like this in my projects. I think it is a good way to deal with the situation.

Comment

The Y chromosome recombines at the end with the x-chromosome.
            There are three positions where it may mappen on the x-chromosome: from position 10 000 to 2 781 000, from
            89 145 000 to 92 745 000 and sometimes between 155 000 000 et 156 000 000 cM.

Comment

Originally posted by dna View Post
              This is not a popular phenomenon , obviously

In the cases of my matches, and from what I have read here in the forum, there is a very simple explanation though.

The sex and usually name come from the lady who takes care of the kit on behalf of a her family member. Usually the profile has some explanation of the type: I am Ms. X X, but the DNA tested belongs to my son, father, brother etc.

Is it wrong? Yes.

Should and can it be corrected? Yes and yes. Sex change requires that the lady who administers the kit places a sex change request with FTDNA. Since the kit already has some Y DNA test associated with it, they will not require her to prove anything.

You can tell her (them) how to fix it.

Why? I have no idea why people list the name of the person who administers the kit instead of the person who provided DNA. Possibly they do not realize that the name and the contact e-mail can belong to two different people.
              My dad's Y DNA is under my email address, so people contacting "him" under his name will be confused to get me, his daughter. You may think it's "wrong" for a woman's name to be listed for Y-DNA, but it feels equally wrong and weird for us to be contacting people and posting on Y-DNA projects under someone else's name! It would be misrepresenting who I am when talking to people. Have you even considered that? Please don't tell me what to do, or that what I felt was the best decision in an awkward situation is wrong, when you clearly haven't even considered things from a woman's point of view and the logistics behind a woman managing a man's Y-DNA kit.
              Last edited by Germanica; 18th November 2017, 09:55 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Germanica View Post
                My dad's Y DNA is under my email address, so people contacting "him" under his name will be confused to get me, his daughter. You may think it's "wrong" for a woman's name to be listed for Y-DNA, but it feels equally wrong and weird for us to be contacting people and posting on Y-DNA projects under someone else's name! It would be misrepresenting who I am when talking to people. Have you even considered that? Please don't tell me what to do, or that what I felt was the best decision in an awkward situation is wrong, when you clearly haven't even considered things from a woman's point of view and the logistics behind a woman managing a man's Y-DNA kit.
                On FTDNA it is totally normal for many of us to manage a number of kits. Totally normal that the Kit Name sometimes does not end up matching the name of the Person you contact via e-mail. No problem at all if they address me by the Kit Name, and then I let them know that person's relationship to me, that I manage the Kit, and my name - no problem there.
                (I always fuss at folks if they send a message to my e-mail saying "Hi, FTDNA says we are related ...." but do not give the Kit Name - because Kit Name identifies whose DNA it is.)

Germanica -- suggest you consider doing as I have seen on some Kits - and have the name read <Your Dad's Name> Managed by <Your Name> -- that way you can all be happy.

Comment

I manage my Y-DNA kits for my cousin and deceased father, but I have their names on the kit. When I answer or send email, I just state that who I am and that I manage the kit of X and state the relationship.

I don't pretend to be them when I answer!

Comment

My mother started the family genealogy around 1980 and when I took over using a computer around 2000 she wanted everything in her name even though she didn't even know how to use a computer. That got old fast!!! Sometimes I would forget to use her name when answering someone, which would confuse a correspondent. Then she got all the credit in a genealogical journal for correcting a long-standing error. I did all the research that exposed the error. She didn't do a thing. So I just completely switched to using my own name on everything.

Comment

Originally posted by loobster View Post
                      On FTDNA it is totally normal for many of us to manage a number of kits. Totally normal that the Kit Name sometimes does not end up matching the name of the Person you contact via e-mail. No problem at all if they address me by the Kit Name, and then I let them know that person's relationship to me, that I manage the Kit, and my name - no problem there.
                      Great that you are aware of this and understand it, but not everyone does. Plus, it's annoying to have to constantly preface every new conversation with and explanation of who I am and how I manage my dad's kit - it just makes more sense to me to preface it by making myself clear in the kit name.

Germanica -- suggest you consider doing as I have seen on some Kits - and have the name read <Your Dad's Name> Managed by <Your Name> -- that way you can all be happy.
                      Maybe, I had considered that, but I just don't see why it's such a big deal to simply have my name. Is it really SO "wrong" and "should be corrected"?

Comment

There is clearly no perfect solution, but the least problematic tends to be to name the kit after the DNA donor. Yes, it is weird having a different name but it would be stranger if I used my name with all the Y-DNA kits I manage. If I put my name on them, there is that side effect of people assuming the DNA belongs to someone that it does not.

So it isn't an issue only female kit managers face. Male kit managers face this as well. I look at my uncles' matches and look for their surnames. If people stuck with the kit manager surnames rather than the donors which may not always be the same, I would be ignoring more matches without realizing it.

One of my uncles has nearly 300 Y37 matches. I'm not going to be emailing each and every one of them. I scan the list and look for those that may be worth contacting. Sometimes a kit has very little data and I have to go by their surname alone. Of course if you were managing your father's kit the surname would be the same and you would think it isn't a problem. But the fact that someone sees a female name might assume that the donor could be anyone, even with a different surname.

You say that to avoid prefacing every conversation with who you are you instead opt to put your name on the kit. Wouldn't that still cause some people to ask for an explanation? If a Y-DNA kit manager contacted me and it was obvious that the DNA donor's name was not on the kit, I would be curious to know about the donor. Only to understand the connection between the DNA match not because of who manages it. It does not matter who manages it.

Many of the Y-DNA matches that I keep contact with are of female kit managers. Not all of them are daughters and sisters. Some are nieces or cousins. All it took was one sentence to explain the situation or even a few words like "my father's kit..." as they talked about something else. No need for lengthy explanations.

Everyone has an opinion on this. No one is telling you do it like this. Just that it may be to your (small) benefit, maybe. People make assumptions either way.

At any rate, I've heard that FTDNA may be working on a fix for all this. I have no details and no idea when but I'm glad they are. It is weird being called by someone else name. Happens in the activity feeds and not even having my name in parenthesis prevents this. People just don't get it.
                        Last edited by The_Contemplator; 19th November 2017, 10:29 PM.

Comment

My name is ... and I manage the kit of my cousin, ...

That doesn't take much typing!

And as no one ever contacts me, I have to do all the contacting, I have a few basic messages saved on my computer, which I copy-paste and alter to suit the situation. Saves on typing!

Comment

Working...
                          X