Possible Non Paternity Event

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Possible Non Paternity Event

Hi everyone, I'm researching the line of my great grandmother Margaret Behan( maternal grandfathers mother) She had a sister who married a man called Ernst Whitty. I have found multiple recent close DNA matches of Whitty through this site as well as Ancestry and 23andme. Naturally I assumed they must be descendents of my g grandmothers sister and her husband. However,after having researched the trees something does not add up.

Basically, my closest match comes from a descendent of another sister of Ernst Whitty, while the other one goes back one further generation on this paternal Whitty line. These people are not related to the Behan side in anyway. When doing further research it turns out Ernst Whitty was living next door when my Grandfather was conceived. Coincidence? Is there any way to settle this given that it is the line of a maternal great grandfather and not a direct descendent?

Just so I have this clear. Ernst was your gt-grandmother's next door neighbour?

How is the closest match related to Ernst's sister, and how much DNA do you share with them?

Comment

Yes, that's correct. Ernst was married and had a family with my g grandmothers sister Mary Behan while living next door. My closet match of 175 centimorgans shared across 8 DNA segments comes from a direct descendent of Ernst's sister Kathleen. 2 other matches at about 50 shared segments come from people who are descendants further generations back through Ernst's grandfather.

I have other matches with previously unaccounted for people ranging from 37 to 110 shared segments that I can now see come from this Whitty line. Again, none are related through the offspring of Ernst and Mary Behan.

I should also note that I have never come across a DNA match for the ancestors of my putative great grandfather Griggs, despite having traced fairly far back. Whitty connections, however, are plentfull!

Comment

Originally posted by exeter22 View Post
        [----]

I should also note that I have never come across a DNA match for the ancestors of my putative great grandfather Griggs, despite having traced fairly far back. Whitty connections, however, are plentiful!
        Just to have a complete picture.

Did you test any presumed descendants of your putative great grandfather Griggs? (Both from your direct line and from any other child he had - if had some other offspring.)

Did you test any presumed descendants of siblings or cousins of your putative great grandfather Griggs?

Mr. W

Comment

No, my grandfather was an only child. I don't think I could get my uncle to do a test and I have no contact with anyone else going back further on that line.

Comment

Working...
          X