Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Confused with results

Hi

As far as I know, all my grandparents and their parents should be all Finns. Despite that myOrigins results look like this:

Finland - 53%
    British Isles - 23%
    West and central Europe - 16%
    East Europe - 6%

That is certainly very surprising result knowing that Finns are genetically pretty isolated.

So, my questions are:

If I would be only half Finn, how come 3 first pages of best DNA matches are all still Finns?

Expecting that I'm 90% Finn, how big is the change of an technical error of this size?

How big is the change of an genetical explanation expecting that my roots are in Finland?

How should I approach to confirm this test result?

Are there some experts, who could help me to interpret these results?

--
    Tuomas

The ethnicity predictions given by any of the various genetic genealogy DNA testing companies should be taken with a large grain of salt. The bottom line is, they are pretty accurate at the continental level, but less reliable at a "country" or regional level.

Part of that is because, just taking the example of Europe, the populations have changed over the centuries due to invasions, wars, migrations, etc. The other reason is that each testing company uses its own unique blend of reference populations and algorithms to interpret them. If you tested at one or more of the other companies, you may well have gotten a different interpretation.

The fact that you have all your closest matches as Finns confirms your known genealogy, regardless of what the ethnicity prediction says.

You can download your raw data file, create an account at GEDmatch.com, and upload the file there. GEDmatch has many different ethnicity tools, and using some of those might reflect your known genealogy better.

FTDNA is on its third version of an ethnicity/biogeographical tool. The current version, myOrigins 2, changed a lot of users results, and has received many questions and a lot of consternation for some.

Comment

I agree completely with KATM

Comment

What about other Finns? How much of Western-Central/Scandinavian/British percents would an average "100%" Finn have at MyOrigins? Or Eastern Europe (which sounds like Slavic admixture)?

You can ask some of your Finnish matches about their ethnic percents.

Anyone else from Finland reading this forum and willing to share the results?

By the way, MyOrigins-1 gave me 4% of Finland&NorthSiberia, and in version 2, there are still exactly 4% of Finland. Makes sense, has to be inherited from my Estonian ancestors.

Comment

Originally posted by KATM View Post
          The ethnicity predictions given by any of the various genetic genealogy DNA testing companies should be taken with a large grain of salt. The bottom line is, they are pretty accurate at the continental level, but less reliable at a "country" or regional level.

Part of that is because, just taking the example of Europe, the populations have changed over the centuries due to invasions, wars, migrations, etc. The other reason is that each testing company uses its own unique blend of reference populations and algorithms to interpret them. If you tested at one or more of the other companies, you may well have gotten a different interpretation.

The fact that you have all your closest matches as Finns confirms your known genealogy, regardless of what the ethnicity prediction says.

You can download your raw data file, create an account at GEDmatch.com, and upload the file there. GEDmatch has many different ethnicity tools, and using some of those might reflect your known genealogy better.

FTDNA is on its third version of an ethnicity/biogeographical tool. The current version, myOrigins 2, changed a lot of users results, and has received many questions and a lot of consternation for some.
          Exactly this.

Comment

Originally posted by Emona View Post
            What about other Finns? How much of Western-Central/Scandinavian/British percents would an average "100%" Finn have at MyOrigins? Or Eastern Europe (which sounds like Slavic admixture)?

You can ask some of your Finnish matches about their ethnic percents.

Anyone else from Finland reading this forum and willing to share the results?

By the way, MyOrigins-1 gave me 4% of Finland&NorthSiberia, and in version 2, there are still exactly 4% of Finland. Makes sense, has to be inherited from my Estonian ancestors.
            I'v got uncertain less than 2% siberia, and 98% Finland. I was thinking percentages from Sweden...but no.

Comment

Originally posted by Tvi View Post
              Hi

As far as I know, all my grandparents and their parents should be all Finns. Despite that myOrigins results look like this:

Finland - 53%
              British Isles - 23%
              West and central Europe - 16%
              East Europe - 6%

That is certainly very surprising result knowing that Finns are genetically pretty isolated.
              This mystery got solved.

My mother finally confessed her affair (at late 70's), which resulted in her pregnancy.

I'm shocked, but truly glad that this got figured out.

Thanks for the help to get those MyOrigin results analyzed.

Br,

Tuomas

Comment

Working...
              X