So I just got my DNA results back. Now what? Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So I just got my DNA results back. Now what? Questions

Joined MyHeritage about a month ago. Sent off my DNA and just got it back today.

I also sent off a 23andMe kit but havent gotten it back yet.

In the meantime I started building my family tree. Of course I understand that I am not a pro genealogist and neither are most who make online trees. That being said, it doesnt seem the DNA and family tree are agreeing too well.

On my family tree I traced back several lines to England (wow, big surprise since my family is from Virginia)

My paternal grandmother was a Dehart which goes back to France (passing through Holland about 10 gens back)

My maternal great grandmothers line goes back to Germany (around 10 gens back)

My maternal great grandmothers line splits off into a Ross line going back to Scotland (10 gens back)

IIRC I saw an ancestor or two from Ireland

My main surname, Williams, I have not been able to trace yet back out of America, but generally the name comes from England and Wales

My maternal grandpa is a Campbell, which I havent been able to trace back but the surname generally comes from Scotland

My maternal grandma's maiden name was Hall but I havent been able to trace that line back. (English, Scottish, Irish, German, and Scandinavian)

My paternal great grandma was a Dodson, which I traced back to England through Jamestown, Va but now I dont really trust the research but in any case the Dodson name is Anglo-Saxon English

Sooooo, I get my DNA results back at it says:

100% European
    -------------
    80.6% English
    13.3% Irish, Scottish, Welsh
    6.1% Scandinavian

So its a little surprising....where is my French and German??

The English/Irish/Scottish/Welch isnt that surprising looking at the surnames and the fact that my family has been mainly in Virginia for 400 years

6.1% Scandy?? no clue where thats coming from....but like I said, there are some holes in my reasearch. The Hall surname might be Scandy. There are other gaps and dead ends such as a great grandma who didnt know who her father was etc?

So I have a few basic questions:

1) What all sites should I enter my dna kit on for more info?

2) Which type of DNA test is the MyHeritage test....Autosomal, Y-DNA, or mtDNA?? What about the 23andME dna test?

3)I dont see any mention of my hablogroup in my MyHeritage results. Im going to assume im R1b lol. Where can I enter my dna kit to find out for sure

4) What all could I learn from getting the following people tested. Mother, sister. Aunt (Dads sister. Great aunt (paternal grandpas sister.....oldest living on that side of family). Maternal grandmothers half sister (same mom as my grandmother)

Thanks for any help, peace, JonJon

Please remember the people from these regions of Europe share DNA due to migrations of people ranging from antiquity to more modern times.

To find out your Y-DNA haplogroup and mtDNA haplogroup you will have to take separate DNA tests from a company that offers them.

FamilyTreeDNA offers a range of Y and mito tests.

However considering you've also tested at 23andMe they should provide you some form of results for your Y/Mt haplogroups. To get STRs and deeper SNP tests you'll need to order from companies that offer specific tests.

Comment

You should consider uploading your raw data to GEDmatch and DNAland- it's free and more info is always a good idea.

Comment

Perhaps you have some New Sweden ancestors from the 1600's? It's possible. Do you have any distant Swedish or Finnish matches?
        Last edited by Frank Kelch; 29 September 2017, 09:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JonJon View Post
          What all could I learn from getting the following people tested. Mother, sister. Aunt (Dads sister. Great aunt (paternal grandpas sister.....oldest living on that side of family). Maternal grandmothers half sister (same mom as my grandmother)

I'd get your great aunt and mother tested first, then your aunt if you can afford it. This is especially true if you hope to sort your matches into maternal and maternal groups.

Comment

Originally posted by JonJon View Post
            4) What all could I learn from getting the following people tested. Mother, sister. Aunt (Dads sister. Great aunt (paternal grandpas sister.....oldest living on that side of family). Maternal grandmothers half sister (same mom as my grandmother)--JonJon
            Strongly recommend testing the older folks since they may not be around as long - plus they are farther back generations - and testing the furthest back one can get is always good!!

great aunt=Paternal grandpas sister - helps you to tell if matches are from you father's father side - and should be really strong there
            and Maternal grandmother's half-sister - similarly for mother's mother's mother -

If you cannot afford to do more, and the others are in good health and not too elderly, those two would be my suggestions.

If you can afford to do more now, do so --
            mother gives you your full maternal side, and
            aunt = father's sister does pretty well on father's side (am assuming father did not already test, and cannot do now)

Comment

Working...
            X