Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

78% new world - does that mean at least one parent is 100% native american?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 78% new world - does that mean at least one parent is 100% native american?

I took a family finder dna test on ftdna, and it says that I am 78% new world (72% north and central america, 6% south america) and about 20% west and central europe.

I was adopted from Chile in the 1980:s and I have no idea who my biological parents are/were. I have not done any geneology. I was surprised that the new world part was so high as 78%, and I dont know how to interpret the new world percentage.

Does 78% mean that at least one of my biological parents must be near 100% native american?

Or could both my biological parents be 50% native american, and it would still be possible for me to become 78% native american (if for example my grandmother was 100% native american but my grandfather was european)?

Originally posted by mrs_pocahontas View Post
    I took a family finder dna test on ftdna, and it says that I am 78% new world (72% north and central america, 6% south america) and about 20% west and central europe.

I was adopted from Chile in the 1980:s and I have no idea who my biological parents are/were. I have not done any geneology. I was surprised that the new world part was so high as 78%, and I dont know how to interpret the new world percentage.

Does 78% mean that at least one of my biological parents must be near 100% native american?

Or could both my biological parents be 50% native american, and it would still be possible for me to become 78% native american (if for example my grandmother was 100% native american but my grandfather was european)?
    Yes probably close to it, and one parent was about half indigenous and half European that would be my guess

Comment

Originally posted by mrs_pocahontas View Post

The most likely scenario is that neither parent was 100%. That would mean each parent had more than 50%. So for instance one parent could have had about 80% and the other parent could have had about 76. Or one parent had 90% and the other parent had 66%.

Comment

I would agree with the previous poster that it likely means that BOTH of your parents were over 50% Native American, given the history of he settlement of the new world. 78% is somewhere on the order of3/4 to 7/8 Native American in total, meaning you almost have the equivalent of 7 out of your 8 great grandparents being "pure" Native American, regardless of the sources of either of your parents' native ancestry.

Comment

Thank you

Thank you so much for your replys. This is really interesting. So it seems like both my biological parents were at least about 60% native americans to get this result.

Comment

Greeting:

I'm Chilean, and I have 37% "North and Central America" and <2% "South America" according to myOrigins. It's posible that this reading be wrong? Since I'm south american, I should have a bigger percentage of South American genes and less of North and Central American. I'm guessing that native american genes are not so well studied as europeans.

Comment

Originally posted by ulfkaine View Post
              Greeting:
              I'm guessing that native american genes are not so well studied as europeans.
              Yes, there are few reference populations, some of the studies done on them were flawed, and the geographic divisions basically meaningless.

Just add all the new world parts together. Then you will get a reasonable amerindian estimate.

With some of the other calculators, e.g., at gedmatch, you should add in the "siberian" as well.

Comment

Working...
              X