Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Confused beginner

Hi,

I had my DNA done with another company last year.
    65% Eastern European; 16% Scandinavian; 15% United Kingdom

This was interesting because I had documentation of my moms parents beginning born in Germany and immigrated to US in 1890-1900. So I thought, non-genetic Germans. I also found a genetic connection with some cousins on my moms side.

SO I had by mom (94) and myself tested with Family Tree.

Son - 86% Eastern European; 12% Scandinavian.

Mother - 61% British; 13% Scandinavian; 10% Eastern European; 7% Southern European.

So how is it I have no British, and my mom is 61%? By the way, Family Tree identified us as mother-son.

Obviously this is not an exact science. But I thought, maybe, some kind of accuracy.

What is going on here? I understand the British/Scandinavian connection, but looking at the numbers that is accounted for.

Thank you

Not only is it not an exact science, but it's impossible to compare your results at another company with your mom's at this company. What company did you test with?

As an example, here's my grandfather's results from three different companies:

AncestryDNA:
    Great Britain 67%
    Europe West 15%
    Italy/Greece 5%
    Scandinavia 1%
    European Jewish 1%
    Iberian Peninsula < 1%
    Europe East 0% (they seem to be showing this because his range was 0%-3%)
    Caucasus 10%

FTDNA myOrigins 2.0:
    West and Central Europe 84%
    Scandinavia 8%
    Asia Minor 7%
    Ashkenazi < 2%

MyHeritageDNA:
    North and West European 60.9%
    Irish, Scottish, and Welsh 15.2%
    Italian 16.4%
    Balkan 7.5%

Note how he had a high percentage of Great Britain at AncestryDNA, but here at FTDNA, NONE. If there's no consistency among the different companies for the same person, you definitely can't expect any consistency between two people who tested at different companies.

What it comes down to is that the results are only really accurate on a continental level - sub-continental groups have been mixing among each other for so long, they often share too much DNA to always be able to tell them apart with any accuracy.

Comment

Originally posted by Paulkozar View Post
      Hi,

I had my DNA done with another company last year.
      65% Eastern European; 16% Scandinavian; 15% United Kingdom

This was interesting because I had documentation of my moms parents beginning born in Germany and immigrated to US in 1890-1900. So I thought, non-genetic Germans. I also found a genetic connection with some cousins on my moms side.

SO I had by mom (94) and myself tested with Family Tree.

Son - 86% Eastern European; 12% Scandinavian.

Mother - 61% British; 13% Scandinavian; 10% Eastern European; 7% Southern European.

So how is it I have no British, and my mom is 61%? By the way, Family Tree identified us as mother-son.

Obviously this is not an exact science. But I thought, maybe, some kind of accuracy.

What is going on here? I understand the British/Scandinavian connection, but looking at the numbers that is accounted for.

Thank you
      You definitely should have a lot of British since your mother gets so much. The calculators not being accurate at a continental level should not be a factor since there should at least be consistency since both of you will have half of the same alleles. So even if those alleles in your mother a mis-assigned to the wrong ethnicity then your alleles should also be mis-assigned to the same wrong ethnicity. They shouldn't contradict each other. This is a symptom of the myOrigins 2.0 calculator being so bad.

23andme uses phasing when a parent or child is tested. That way the DNA is aligned with a parent and reduces both false positives and false negatives in both the parent and child.

Comment

Thank you

The second response makes sense. I assumed there was some sort of missing information from my result and my mom.

As to the other company result, that was not what my question involved.

Comment

Working...
        X