Which test is right for me?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which test is right for me?

I have been into the genetics world for a while now, and I want to find out everything about myself - where my ancestors were at which point in history, where parts of my DNA come from, how big those parts are, etc.. I am willing to spend days, weeks or even months investigating (and I probably will regardless, haha).

However I also want to buy tests for my parents and to compare my DNA to theirs - how similar me and them are genetically.

If I had enough money, I'd just buy all the tests right now for all of us and be a happy camper, but I do not have the money for it (at least right now), so which test(s) should I buy for myself, and which for them, and why those?

Please ask anything if it will help you help me! :-)

P.S. I am not looking to find my relatives, I am looking for my genetic information so that I could think, interpret and theorize about it for myself (yes, I am just a very curious guy, heh). And also - my parents are not interested in the results whatsoever, they do not even use technology.

I am sure somebody can help me out here...

Comment

Originally posted by DNAtester View Post
      I am sure somebody can help me out here...
      Assuming you have a Family Finder yourself, order one for each parent. The test currently on sale at $69 each (plus testing fee).

Analysis using you and your parents is best if everyone has the same version of testing. Also your parents DNA will be on file, so you can easily order different tests for them in the future.

Jack

Comment

Originally posted by georgian1950 View Post
        Assuming you have a Family Finder yourself, order one for each parent. The test currently on sale at $69 each (plus testing fee).

Analysis using you and your parents is best if everyone has the same version of testing. Also your parents DNA will be on file, so you can easily order different tests for them in the future.

Jack
        If your parents are very elderly, or in poor health - you might consider contacting FTDNA by phone to order the Family Finder Test for them and at the same time requesting FTDNA include a 3rd swab (& vial) in each of their kits. This help guarantee there will be enough good DNA available for future tests should you choose to order them some time in the future.

In any case, 100% agree - order the Family Finder Test for your parents. If you do not already have a Family Finder Test for yourself, also order a Family Finder Test for yourself.

And get in writing their permission for you to download their raw data, upload it to any sites you choose, and analyze it as you choose, and order any additional tests for them you choose. [That will protect you in future, should it ever become an issue.]

Comment

Originally posted by georgian1950 View Post
          That should read (plus Postage & Handling) which is charged once for each kit.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Barrett View Post
            That should read (plus Postage & Handling) which is charged once for each kit.
            Thanks for the correction. FTDNA may call it that, but it is essentially the cost with postage for the testing kit. Subsequent tests for a person use the DNA sample on file, so P&H is incurred just for the first test on a person.

Also, if an elderly person is being sampled, FTDNA's swabs are a lot easier to use than the "spit" method used by most others.

Jack

Comment

Working...
            X