Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Company that would likely have the most matches?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Company that would likely have the most matches?

Hello
    I have done the family finder here and am interested in exploring matches. My highest match here is approx 100cM and in looking at this persons family tree I see that it's possible we may each have a distant grandparent that were siblings. At any rate I am wondering if say, ancestry.ca may have a larger database of potential matches as they seem to be a well known company ? Im interested in any matches but also would really like to find some matches from my maternal grandfathers (who my mother only knows by name) as I know nothing about his background or ethnicit. Thoughts appreciated.

Nobody can predict which database is going to have your best matches because it is somewhat a matter of chance of who tests where.

The big 3 companies at the moment are Ancestry.com, 23andme and FTDNA.

I would highly recommend uploading your data to the free site www.gedmatch.com which acts as a central site for intercompany compares. Since it is on a volunteer basis, it only has some of the results from each company, but it does tend to attract the most interested researchers, and therefore should have a good response rate if you attempt contact.

Once you get uploaded, try the one-to-many lookup. You can see the original source of contributor by the first letter of his kit code. (A=ancestry, M=23andme, T=FTDNA).

Comment

Originally posted by Carrielwb View Post
      Hello
      I have done the family finder here and am interested in exploring matches. My highest match here is approx 100cM and in looking at this persons family tree I see that it's possible we may each have a distant grandparent that were siblings. At any rate I am wondering if say, ancestry.ca may have a larger database of potential matches as they seem to be a well known company ? Im interested in any matches but also would really like to find some matches from my maternal grandfathers (who my mother only knows by name) as I know nothing about his background or ethnicit. Thoughts appreciated.
      Ancestry has the largest database by far. Now which company would have the most meaningful match to you in their database is a guessing game. Best to test at all of them if you can afford it with no guarantees you will find what you are looking for.

Comment

Originally posted by travers View Post
        Ancestry has the largest database by far.
        True, but Ancestry also is extremely conservative in calling something a match, so they screen out valuable distant cousin matches that FTDNA shows you. Also, Ancestry's lack of chromosome data is a huge handicap -- the matches are useless for most purposes unless you can get them to upload to GEDmatch. And DO NOT trust the trees that Ancestry members post! They are mostly undocumented and full of errors, since they mostly just mindlessly copy other people's trees, without even the most basic plausibility checking.

Comment

Thank you. I'm trying to figure out gedcom.

Comment

Working...
          X