My Haplogroups, what do they mean?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Haplogroups, what do they mean?

I have recently learnt my new Haplogroups from Wegene (I know that site is a little dubious because it's a Chinese DNA testing company... but at least it has given me the haplogroups) which are:

Y-DNA: R1b1a1a2a1a2c1a1a1a1
    MtDNA: L1'2'3'4'5'6

Though I'm not sure how they were able to discern my haplogroups from an autosomal DNA data from AncestryDNA? I thought you couldn't?

Anyway, I have little understanding of what they mean though. My understanding is based on a few Google searches and it turns out that L1 is originated in Africa, more specifically West Africa (which explains my 1% West Africa in my Family Tree DNA results as trace result (apparently attributed to "background noise"?) even though I have no known ancestors from Africa). My mother is from the Philippines and my various results show up as around 48% East Asian / South East Asian with a tiny bit of Oceanian thrown in as well (I'm assuming Oceanian means Melanesian??). However, I'm confused as the typical Haplogroup of Filipinos seems to be either O, M or N, and L1 seems to be rare among Filipinos (less than 1%).

Or is it possible that Wegene is just totally wrong and has made it all up?

I'm a little confused by their nomenclature. Do they mention which source they are using for their nomenclature?

This was raw data sent over to WeGene right? Or did you provide a sample?

I believe Oceanian includes Melanesia, Micronesia and Polynesia.

If WeGene has a track record of dubious activity it could be entirely possible they are making it up.
    Last edited by spruithean; 5 August 2017, 02:26 PM.

Comment

The Y Haplogroup name is the long format. The short format would be R-DF23.

Comment

Originally posted by DannyMc View Post
        I have recently learnt my new Haplogroups from Wegene (I know that site is a little dubious because it's a Chinese DNA testing company... but at least it has given me the haplogroups) which are:

Y-DNA: R1b1a1a2a1a2c1a1a1a1
        MtDNA: L1'2'3'4'5'6

Though I'm not sure how they were able to discern my haplogroups from an autosomal DNA data from AncestryDNA? I thought you couldn't?

Anyway, I have little understanding of what they mean though. My understanding is based on a few Google searches and it turns out that L1 is originated in Africa, more specifically West Africa (which explains my 1% West Africa in my Family Tree DNA results as trace result (apparently attributed to "background noise"?) even though I have no known ancestors from Africa). My mother is from the Philippines and my various results show up as around 48% East Asian / South East Asian with a tiny bit of Oceanian thrown in as well (I'm assuming Oceanian means Melanesian??). However, I'm confused as the typical Haplogroup of Filipinos seems to be either O, M or N, and L1 seems to be rare among Filipinos (less than 1%).

Or is it possible that Wegene is just totally wrong and has made it all up?

AncestryDNA uses an Illumina chip which was designed to be able to test for some Y-DNA SNPs and mtDNA SNPs but AncestryDNA doesn't report them on their website even though they are included in your raw DNA file.

The mtDNA should be tested at FTDNA in order to have all of the proper mtDNA SNPs tested. Otherwise, you don't know if there are important missing SNPs that put you into a completely different mtDNA haplogroup.

Wegene uses an older tree for the results that they provide. R1b1a1a2a1a2c1a1a1a1 in the 2016 ISOGG tree is defined by the SNP Z2961 which is tested by the AncestryDNA chip. It is at position 7855252 with a mutation of C to T. You can see it in your raw DNA if you open the file that you downloaded then search for 7855252. You will have T T next to that location meaning that your Y-DNA was tested twice and both time you had a T result for that location which is a positive result for 7855252 which is SNP Z2961 which is R1b1a1a2a1a2c1a1a1a1 in the 2016 ISOGG tree.

R-DF23 is defined by the mutation at position 17774409 but that position is not tested by AncestryDNA. If you open your raw data file from AncestryDNA you will see that is in your list and therefore is not tested. However, you are positive for DF23 since you are positive for R-Z2961 as long as R-Z2961 isn't a false positive.

In order to determine that your positive result for Z2961 isn't a false positive you should do a Google search of MorleyDNA.com Y-SNP Subclade Predictor: extract Y-DNA from an autosomal test then run it through the calculator until it takes you to the results page which uses the 2013 ISOGG tree which should show you to be positive for other upstream R1b Y-DNA SNPs including L21. You can also look up L21 in your raw data. It is at position 15654428 and the mutation is C to G so you should have G G next to position 15654428.
        Last edited by Armando; 6 August 2017, 05:32 PM.

Comment

Working...
        X