Father / Son Y DNA Haplogroup

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Always remember...

You are comparing your results only to other men who have tested. Surname use is an artificial distinction, not a genetic inheritance. Had I seen this in time, I would have recommended the 111 test while it was on sale.
    Genetic distances are questionable even at 111 (I find them "closer" than they are through paper-trail) but at lower than 67, they are pretty meaningless.

Comment

Originally posted by clintonslayton76 View Post
      You are comparing your results only to other men who have tested. Surname use is an artificial distinction, not a genetic inheritance. Had I seen this in time, I would have recommended the 111 test while it was on sale.
      Genetic distances are questionable even at 111 (I find them "closer" than they are through paper-trail) but at lower than 67, they are pretty meaningless.
      Eh, I would argue that below 67 isn't necessarily meaningless depending on surnames, genealogical info, haplotypes, haplogroups, etc. SNP testing can be more helpful in combination.

Close matches with other surnames implying NPE should only be considered if each individuals paper trail intersects in close proximity to each other.
      Last edited by spruithean; 4th September 2017, 02:25 PM.

Comment

As stated...

67 isn't necessarily meaningless
        I did not say that they were, in that large groups can be tested for 12 inexpensively for haplo, but in terms of Genetic Distance, most of my 12 STR marker matches with 0 distance have virtually no probability of being part of my patriline, which goes to the root of the original query.

Those with 67-111 STR matches have far more accurate Genetic Distance.

Comment

Working...
        X