Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Result clarification for major newbie

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Result clarification for major newbie

    I am completely new to this whole DNA thing and very ignorant about how it all works. I have a question that I'm pretty sure anyone with some knowledge of this would be able to answer. I've been told all my life that I have Cherokee blood, however, my DNA results returned 96% European (80% British Isles and 16% Southeast Europe) and 4% trace on 4 other backgrounds. So I am assuming I have no native American, am I correct?

  • #2
    Originally posted by dhulen View Post
    I am completely new to this whole DNA thing and very ignorant about how it all works. I have a question that I'm pretty sure anyone with some knowledge of this would be able to answer. I've been told all my life that I have Cherokee blood, however, my DNA results returned 96% European (80% British Isles and 16% Southeast Europe) and 4% trace on 4 other backgrounds. So I am assuming I have no native American, am I correct?
    Do your results indicate what those trace amounts are?

    Chances are it could mean that you do not have Native American DNA, unless of course it is quite far back in which case you may not have inherited the genetic material. Many Americans claim to have indigenous heritage when they do not.

    Comment


    • #3
      Result clarification for major newbie

      Thank you for your reply. The trace are:
      East Middle East <1%
      Scandinavia <2%
      Weest Africa <1%
      Asia Minor <1%

      Comment


      • #4
        The admixture reports are one of the weaker aspects of analysis due to the very generalized nature of the data. You may find different answers depending on the population samples used.

        Try uploading to the free site www.gedmatch.com. Once you get uploaded, try the admixture section and choose Eugenes K13. That has a category called Amerindian that could show up.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by ech124 View Post
          The admixture reports are one of the weaker aspects of analysis due to the very generalized nature of the data. You may find different answers depending on the population samples used.

          Try uploading to the free site www.gedmatch.com. Once you get uploaded, try the admixture section and choose Eugenes K13. That has a category called Amerindian that could show up.
          Ah yes, I had forgotten about gedmatch!

          Comment


          • #6
            Kit #

            Again, thank you for your help. I did what you advised and it asks for a kit #. I put mine in from ftDNA but it did not find it. Any advice on how to proceed?

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by dhulen View Post
              Again, thank you for your help. I did what you advised and it asks for a kit #. I put mine in from ftDNA but it did not find it. Any advice on how to proceed?
              You have to create an account at GEDmatch and then upload your FTDNA results (after downloading them to your computer) into your GEDmatch account.

              Create your GEDmatch account using this page - https://www.gedmatch.com/register.php. Then log into your account to upload your FTDNA results. You'll find directions for uploading at https://www.gedmatch.com/gedwiki/ind...DNA_DNA_Upload. The admixture utilities at GEDmatch are at https://www.gedmatch.com/ap_mix1t_gen.php.
              Last edited by MMaddi; 31 July 2017, 12:53 PM.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by dhulen View Post
                ...So I am assuming I have no native American, am I correct? ...
                No. You could be partly amerindian. The indigenous component can get diluted out very quickly. 100%>50%>25%>12%>6%>3%>zip. Those are just averages and the variability increases enormously with each generation that has passed. It could be undetectable in just 4 generations.

                "However, if the Native ancestor does not descend from the direct paternal or direct matrilineal lines, the only DNA test left is an autosomal test which tests all of your ancestral lines, but which can only reliably identify ancestral heritage for the past 5 or 6 generations in any of those lines due to recombination of DNA with the other parent in each generation." from Roberta Estes' blog

                re Cherokee: read this.

                Comment


                • #9
                  I also have slight Cherokee from verbal ancestry. The MyOrigins 2.0 gave me trace North American Indian and Eastern Europe in addition to the SE Europe of unknown origin (4%). Living DNA said South Asia(Pashtun) and Kurd were my trace elements while 23andme proposed West Africa. Ancestry says Caucasus, Iberian, and Italian/Greek traces. So you got me, something spicy is floating around in this melting pot.
                  Last edited by cbeck; 31 July 2017, 06:06 PM.

                  Comment

                  Working...
                  X