Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Genetic Distance 1 - Native American

Hello all,

Even though I have had my brother's DNA done a couple of years ago, I am still a newbie and really don't understand a lot of what I am reading! At any rate, I just looked at my brother's markers and I see at Genetic Distance 1 - United States-Native American 1 - country total-1616 - 0.1%.
    This has not shown up before as the reason my brother took the test is to confirm or disprove our Native American ancestry (oral history passed down from a few generations ago).
    Can someone tell me in simple language if this means anything? As I said, this never showed up in the markers before. Any help greatly appreciated.
    Janice

Originally posted by jebfalvey View Post
    Hello all,

Even though I have had my brother's DNA done a couple of years ago, I am still a newbie and really don't understand a lot of what I am reading! At any rate, I just looked at my brother's markers and I see at Genetic Distance 1 - United States-Native American 1 - country total-1616 - 0.1%.
    This has not shown up before as the reason my brother took the test is to confirm or disprove our Native American ancestry (oral history passed down from a few generations ago).
    Can someone tell me in simple language if this means anything? As I said, this never showed up in the markers before. Any help greatly appreciated.
    Janice
    Native American Y haplogroups are typically C or Q. If that doesn't apply to you, the most likely explanation is that the match did not follow instructions about reporting the location of the most distant known ancestor. You are not supposed to say United States unless the ancestor is Native American.

Comment

Genetic Distance 1 - Native American

Hi Ann,

Thank you for taking the time to reply. My brother is G-M201.
      When I first received the results, it just said "United States," now it adds Native American. Oh well, I guess it is all still a mystery!

Comment

Janice, this looks like information shown in your brother's Y-DNA Ancestral Origins, right? The match probably changed the "country" choice for their Earliest Known male ancestor (found in a dropdown menu in Account Settings, under Genealogy), and that is why it changed in your list. These choices are made by your matches, not FTDNA, and are not based on DNA.

Which brings to mind a few questions, in general: For this particular choice for "Country," why doesn't FTDNA call the "United States - Native American" choice simply "Native American" or "Native American Tribe" or "Native American/First Nations" instead? Should there be "Native North American," "Native Central American," and "Native South American" categories? There are over 200 choices for Country of Origin for Earliest Known Ancestors in the Genealogy account settings; refining some of the choices might be a good idea.

The other category, simply "United States," is supposed to be for when you haven't been able to track your earliest known ancestor back to their country of origin; someone who immigrated from somewhere, but right now you just don't know from where. There is a perhaps more appropriate "Unknown" choice for country for that case; why not remove the plain "United States" choice, and change the other one to something similar to "Native American?" Seems like that would solve some issues.

But I suppose even with that people would be confused somehow, even though it seems self-evident that anyone except people of Native American origin had to have been born, or had ancestry, elsewhere. Is it because some people think "Native American" means anyone who was born in the U.S.A., perhaps confusing it with the term "native-born American?"

Should the category itself not be called "Country," but rather "Country or Geographic group," or something else? We all know that changing boundaries throughout history causes problems tracking ancestors. Even if the country doesn't exist anymore, isn't it still informative to go along with the Earliest Known ancestor's name?

Comment

Not to go too far off-topic, but what is the meaning of 0.1% Sub-Saharan African on a DNA test? I know the OP asked a somewhat similar question, but I was curious if this was any different.

Comment

Originally posted by Zahwey92 View Post
            Not to go too far off-topic, but what is the meaning of 0.1% Sub-Saharan African on a DNA test? I know the OP asked a somewhat similar question, but I was curious if this was any different.
            Are you asking about 0.1% Sub-Saharan Africa in the Ancestral Origins page of your yDNA matches, which is the type of thing the OP is asking about? Or are you asking about 0.1% Sub-Saharan African given as an estimate of your ethnic/geographic ancestry in the myOrigins feature of the Family Finder autosomal test?

Comment

Working...
            X