Upload a GEDCOM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upload a GEDCOM

When I'm in my family tree there is an option to upload GEDCOM. Since it says upload (not download) I assumed it meant upload my current family tree on family tree DNA to a GEDCOM file or site of some sort. However when I click it I get a warning that it will overwrite my current family tree. Will this overwrite the family tree I painstakingly entered into the family tree DNA website? or does it mean I'll overwrite any other GEDCOM file that I may have submitted earlier?

Just want to find out before I do something disastrous.

The option to upload is for you to upload a .ged file (gedcom) to the family tree page of your FTDNA account (where you were). If you have genealogy software, such as Family Tree Maker, Roots Magic, Legacy Family Tree, etc., you can export a .ged file from it, to save wherever you specify on your computer. This is the file you would then upload to FTDNA for your family tree here.

If you've painstakingly entered a tree already, OR uploaded a .ged file, then uploading a new .ged file WILL overwrite whatever is currently on your tree at FTDNA.

Keeping that in mind, you could try using the Chrome browser, with the "DNArboretum" tool (only usable with Chrome). You would then go to your current tree at FTDNA, use DNArboretum, and it will produce an Ahnentafel file. Once you have that Ahnentafel file, read Kitty Cooper's post on using her "Text to GEDCOM Using my Ahnen2GED" converter tool. That should give you a usable .ged file of your tree, which you can then save for backup. You should check it by opening it in your genealogy software to make sure it is the same as what is currently showing as your family tree at FTDNA, just in case there are any problems, though.

When websites refer to uploads or downloads:
    • Download: is for a website to send (download) a file from the website's server "down" to your computer.
    • Upload: is for you to send (upload) a file from your computer "up" to a website's server.

So, "down" to you from a server, and "up" from you to a server (think of such servers as "the Cloud" you may have heard of; at least imagine that a server is "up in the sky").

Comment

Thanks for the detailed response.

Comment

Working...
      X