Confusion British vs Scandanavian - My heritage vs FTNDA results?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • snufkin
    FTDNA Customer
    • Jul 2017

Confusion British vs Scandanavian - My heritage vs FTNDA results?

Hi there, just recently joined and got my results for FTDNA -I had a test kit done with My Heritage DNA at the start of the year, which showed 51.3% British & Irish, 42.3% Scandanavian, 4.9% Italian and 1.5% South Asian. FTDNA results then came back with 95% British, 2% East European, 2% West Asian, 1% Asia Minor.

So British & Irish go from 51% to 95% and Scandanavian completely disappears? How has this happened, any ideas?
  • khazaria
    FTDNA Customer
    • May 2014

Mixups between British DNA and Scandinavian DNA are notoriously common! There were so many Vikings in Britain in the Middle Ages and there are other reasons for the difficulty in parsing out northwestern European populations in general.

Do you have a known family history and if so what do you believe should be your accurate ethnicity percentages at your grandparents' or great-grandparents' level?

Comment

• snufkin
      FTDNA Customer
      • Jul 2017

Yes father is from south Wales & his mother Irish, mothers side all from derbyshire, northish england, which and could explain it?!

Comment

• khazaria
        FTDNA Customer
        • May 2014

Snufkin,
        Thank you very much for sharing your estimates and ancestry with us.

I get the impression that MyHeritage is picking up on a lot of Scandinavian DNA in northern England.

It is interesting to see that Family Tree DNA's MyOrigins is a lot more accurate for you in terms of recent ethnicity, even though MyHeritage's Scandinavian reading isn't totally false just exaggerated.

I have a different problem: MyHeritage gives me several percentage points of false English DNA while it gives my mother several points of false Irish/Scottish/Welsh DNA. We don't have any British ancestry. MyOrigins got it right for us.

Comment

• Michelstaedter
          FTDNA Customer
          • May 2017

Originally posted by khazaria View Post
          Snufkin,
          Thank you very much for sharing your estimates and ancestry with us.

I get the impression that MyHeritage is picking up on a lot of Scandinavian DNA in northern England.

It is interesting to see that Family Tree DNA's MyOrigins is a lot more accurate for you in terms of recent ethnicity, even though MyHeritage's Scandinavian reading isn't totally false just exaggerated.

I have a different problem: MyHeritage gives me several percentage points of false English DNA while it gives my mother several points of false Irish/Scottish/Welsh DNA. We don't have any British ancestry. MyOrigins got it right for us.
          Interesting. I also seem to be getting an exaggerated quotient of Irish/Scottish/Welsh on MyHeritage. Any chance that they could be inexplicably mixing up Jewish and far flung northwestern European populations through self misidentification on their database? What sort of percentages are you getting?

Comment

Working...
          X