Autosomal Match vs Y match

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Autosomal Match vs Y match

Very new at this DNA thing. My father and I are looking for information on who my Grandfather was. My father submitted his Autosomal and Y-111 DNA. He has 2000 matches with his Autosomal but not a single for his Y.

Correct me if I am mistaken. But I think that he will only receive Y matches with people who have taken the separate Y test. Because the autosomal one doesn't test the Y. Is that correct? So when I get my results on my autosomal I shouldn't be a match on the Y because I did not do the separate Y test, right?

I've read of some people having over 300 matches on the Y and it seems odd that my father takes the Y-111 and doesn't have any matches. How likely is is that the data was not inputed for his Y matches?

What is his predicted yDNA Haplogroup?

You are correct that autosomal and yDNA are separate test. They test different DNA

Autosomal only tests chromosomes 1 thru 22 and the X in the 23rd chromosome. It tests around 700000 SNPs (single-nucleotide polymorphisms)

yDNA test the yDNA in males 23rd chromosome. It tests the STR (short tandem repeats)

yDNA matches will only to be to other males that have also ordered a yDNA test.

Depending on yDNA signature, very few may have tested that are in the database.

Have you joined him to his haplogroup project. Those admin may explain why the lack of matching and or suggest your next best course of action is in regards to yDNA.

Comment

Originally posted by Groberts View Post
      Very new at this DNA thing. My father and I are looking for information on who my Grandfather was. My father submitted his Autosomal and Y-111 DNA. He has 2000 matches with his Autosomal but not a single for his Y.
      Have you checked on matches at the 67,37, or 25 level? Not everyone tests at 111 markers. If you have a match with a low genetic distance at a lower level and that is all that the match tested for, you may be able to persuade the match to test additional markers.

Comment

Originally posted by prairielad View Post
        What is his predicted yDNA Haplogroup?

You are correct that autosomal and yDNA are separate test. They test different DNA

Autosomal only tests chromosomes 1 thru 22 and the X in the 23rd chromosome. It tests around 700000 SNPs (single-nucleotide polymorphisms)

yDNA test the yDNA in males 23rd chromosome. It tests the STR (short tandem repeats)

yDNA matches will only to be to other males that have also ordered a yDNA test.

Depending on yDNA signature, very few may have tested that are in the database.

Have you joined him to his haplogroup project. Those admin may explain why the lack of matching and or suggest your next best course of action is in regards to yDNA.
        Thanks for your response. He's QL-804. Have not looked at a haplogroup project yet. I'll check it out

Comment

Originally posted by georgian1950 View Post
          Have you checked on matches at the 67,37, or 25 level? Not everyone tests at 111 markers. If you have a match with a low genetic distance at a lower level and that is all that the match tested for, you may be able to persuade the match to test additional markers.
          Yes, no matches at any level. Just struck me as odd so wondered if it was some sort of data entry problem.

Comment

Q project

There is a Q Nordic haplo project you can join.That may give insight.

Comment

Working...
            X