Have 1,850 people with at least 100 CM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Have 1,850 people with at least 100 CM

I am Jewish and a newbie and have only 1 match, a 1C2RR (a grandson of a first cousin). When I use gedmatch, I get one match (a granddaughter of another first cousin). I have these people on my tree.

There is no one else that comes even close by surname or origin so on my tree I h.ave added specific shtetls and US cities to help others.

I have a tiny understanding of endogamy as this plagues the Jews so what are the techniques when no one except one first cousin and her mother are going to do dna testing. I will receive the mother (my maternal aunt) in a week or two. As I have the first cousin's results already I now have a total of three matches. She and the two 1C2RR

Whoopee! What on earth is this good for. I am souring on this dna testing really fast.

Originally posted by zimida View Post
    ... There is no one else that comes even close by surname or origin ...
    Nobody... YET.
    So many people are signing up to Family Finder that you may later discover a new cousin you can find a closeness to.
    Or you can upload your kit for free to other sites - GEDmatch and MyHeritage DNA - to see if a potentially genealogically-trackable match participates there. [Edit: I had overlooked you've already joined GEDmatch. But you may get relevant matches there LATER so keep a watch on it.]

I have a tiny understanding of endogamy as this plagues the Jews ... What on earth is this good for. I am souring on this dna testing really fast.
    One thing you can do now to break the monotony and pointlessness is look for any matches you have that are NOT Ashkenazic Jews.
    • They might include Poles who descend from a Frankist Jew who converted to Roman Catholicism in the 1700s.
    • They might include English or German or Russian people who descend from a Jew who converted to Protestantism or Russian Orthodoxy in the 1800s.
    • They might include Latin Americans like Mexicans and Puerto Ricans who descend from Spanish Jews who converted to Catholicism in the 1400s.
    • They might include Jews whose recent ancestors lived in far-off lands like Morocco, Syria, Iraq, or Egypt.
    Last edited by khazaria; 6 June 2017, 09:41 PM.

Comment

Have you tried testing at another company, such as Ancestry. Ancestry does have a much larger data base to draw results from. Currently here at FTDNA I have 3,290 matches and at Ancestry I have 35,472 matches. It might make a difference in your research. And if you haven't tried it, you could download your raw DNA to GEDmatch and see who might match you there.

Comment

I dont have much experience working with endogamic ancestries, so not sure if this works.

I would concentrate on the ICW list of your cousin's grandson.

On GedMatch, there is an equivalent tool on the Main Page called People Who Match One or Both of Two Kits.

And then I would look for people who match you and BOTH of your 1st cousins 2r.

It would work much better if all 3 of you are on GedMatch or all 3 on FTDNA. And if the two cousins are related to each other.

Comment

Endogamy needs more than 130CM

I've been advised to write to people with more than 130 CM and with the longest segments.

In the meantime I ordered y37 so I can get my haplotype and join and surname project.

And waiting for more people to test with good family trees.

Thanks for the thoughtful responses.

Barry Broude

Comment

I've been advised to write to people with more than 130 CM and with the longest segments.
            Barry, I am curious how many that will knock off of your 1850 matches over 100 cM.

Thanks and good luck.

Jack Wyatt

Comment

How many knocked off 1850 over 100

There are 105 people over 130 cm, both 2-4th and 3rd-5th cousins.

33 of these are 3rd-5th but there are more 2nd-4th, like 380 total.

Question: is 2nd-4th more important than number of CM?

What about segment length, that counts more than anything regardless of 2-4th or 3rd-5th.

I've been at this 13 days now and almost think I have enough knowledge to start contacting people??

Comment

Working...
              X