Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CONVERSO NAMES LISTED IN THE BOOK "LO JUDEO CONVERSOS EN ESPANA Y AMERICA

BY ANTONIO DOMINGUEZ ORTIZ Ediciones ISTMOS , Madrid

Comments: The names listed below are a fraction of those conversos of the period in that the author has dealt with those conversos that had Royal commissions, and were physicians, to the crown, or to lower members of the Spanish ruling class. Those listed were part of that class. He also deals with the inclusion of the conversos in the religious orders of the day, Jesuits, Carmelites, Dominicans, Franciscans etc. Many rose to be Bishops, Cardinals. One became a Saint ( Teresa ). Among the conversos there were: inquisitors, many were titled, became landowners, explorers, slave traders, physicians, writers, poets, historians and on and on. The names of the ordinary "lower class" conversos are not treated here. No distinction is made in the list as to whether they remained Christians, were "crypto Jews, or the fate of any who were "processed" by the Inquisition. (Comments, are mine, (Ben Nahman) not the authors.)

http://home.earthlink.net/~bnahman/Conversonames.htm

Comment

• Originally posted by LeoLoS
      CONVERSO NAMES LISTED IN THE BOOK "LO JUDEO CONVERSOS EN ESPANA Y AMERICA

BY ANTONIO DOMINGUEZ ORTIZ Ediciones ISTMOS , Madrid

Comments: The names listed below are a fraction of those conversos of the period in that the author has dealt with those conversos that had Royal commissions, and were physicians, to the crown, or to lower members of the Spanish ruling class. Those listed were part of that class. He also deals with the inclusion of the conversos in the religious orders of the day, Jesuits, Carmelites, Dominicans, Franciscans etc. Many rose to be Bishops, Cardinals. One became a Saint ( Teresa ). Among the conversos there were: inquisitors, many were titled, became landowners, explorers, slave traders, physicians, writers, poets, historians and on and on. The names of the ordinary "lower class" conversos are not treated here. No distinction is made in the list as to whether they remained Christians, were "crypto Jews, or the fate of any who were "processed" by the Inquisition. (Comments, are mine, (Ben Nahman) not the authors.)

http://home.earthlink.net/~bnahman/Conversonames.htm
      This list doesn't seem too useful. Take, for instance, fray Íñigo de Mendoza. He was son of Diego Hurtado de Mendoza, a non-Jewish Spanish aristocrat, and doña Juana de Cartagena, of converso family.
      Thus, in this particular case, the surname MENDOZA meens nothing, from a converso point of view.

Comment

• Originally posted by robe3b
        This list doesn't seem too useful. Take, for instance, fray Íñigo de Mendoza. He was son of Diego Hurtado de Mendoza, a non-Jewish Spanish aristocrat, and doña Juana de Cartagena, of converso family.
        Thus, in this particular case, the surname MENDOZA meens nothing, from a converso point of view.
        Oops! I've made a mistake. I wanted to say that the surname in question MEANS nothing from a converso point of view.

Comment

As said in the beginning; "The names listed below are a fraction of those conversos of the period in that the author has dealt with those conversos that had Royal commissions, and were physicians, to the crown, or to lower members of the Spanish ruling class." All converso names are certainly not listed here.

Comment

• The name Cartagena is actually found in the list. If it has a connection to doña Juana de Cartagena, of converso family, I can't tell, haven't read the book.

Comment

The name Cartagena is actually found in the list. If it has a connection to doña Juana de Cartagena, of converso family, I can't tell, haven't read the book.
              Oops, actually all your mentioned names are found from the list, so you should really be content with the list. But your point is obviously that FRAY INIGO de MENDOZA had no converso background and hence Mendoza is not a converso surname, so it should actually not be included to the list?

TERESA de CARTAGENA

ALONSO de CARTAGENA

PEDRO de CARTAGENA

FRAY. INIGO de MENDOZA

JUANA de CARTAGENA
              Last edited by LeoLoS; 16 September 2006, 01:03 PM.

Comment

Oops, actually all your mentioned names are found from the list, so you should really be content with the list. But your point is obviously that FRAY INIGO de MENDOZA had no converso background and hence Mendoza is not a converso surname, so it should actually not be included to the list?

TERESA de CARTAGENA

ALONSO de CARTAGENA

PEDRO de CARTAGENA

FRAY. INIGO de MENDOZA

JUANA de CARTAGENA
                Hi LeoLoS,

According to what I wrote in my previous post, fray Íñigo de Mendoza did have a converso background, but not as a Mendoza, since only his mother was of Jewish descent. Hence the list maybe should be named "List of Spanish people with converso background", instead. As you know, it is notorious and well documented that many conversos received the surname Mendoza when they were baptized.

Comment

Hi LeoLoS,

According to what I wrote in my previous post, fray Íñigo de Mendoza did have a converso background, but not as a Mendoza, since only his mother was of Jewish descent. Hence the list maybe should be named "List of Spanish people with converso background", instead. As you know, it is notorious and well documented that many conversos received the surname Mendoza when they were baptized.
                  Right robe3b, Diego Hurtado de Mendoza had no converso background, I mixed him up with his son, Fray. Inigo de Mendoza. The author of the book was anyhow not the author of the list, he seems to have misunderstood some contexts of the book, like me in this thread. As said earlier, I haven´t read the book myself.

Comment

• Still waiting..................................

Comment

• There seems to be a pretty new FTDNA project about Sephardim:
                      www.familytreedna.com/public/Sephardic_heritage

At the moment 29 persons have joined, with following Haplogroups; E3a (1), E3b (9), G (8), J (5), K2 (3) and R1b (4). Pretty much E3b, of the four first E3b members there is one 12/12 match and three 11/12 matches to me. Strange, I haven't seen these matches in my FTDNA personal page, E3b-project or in Y-search.

Another project, www.familytreedna.com/public/NuevoMexico , that has been around for a longer time, seems to have members both with and without Sephardic ancestry. It has got only three E3b:s out of 140 Y-Dna members, they are labeled as Phoenicians.
                      Last edited by LeoLoS; 27 September 2006, 04:59 PM.

Comment

• Is J2f Jewish??
                        What do the M markers tell you when they're positive or negative?
                        If you have a 3 step mutation and 4 step mutations (several actually) who are ashkenadze and shephardic, what does that mean?
                        thanks

Comment

• Originally posted by caj2
                          Is J2f Jewish??
                          What do the M markers tell you when they're positive or negative?
                          If you have a 3 step mutation and 4 step mutations (several actually) who are ashkenadze and shephardic, what does that mean?
                          thanks

E3B is jewish too

Comment

• Originally posted by Jim Denning
                            E3B is jewish too
                            E3b is found among Jews, like many other haplogroups. As you use to say, no one is one haplogroup, it doesn't happen.

Comment

As you know, it is notorious and well documented that many conversos received the surname Mendoza when they were baptized.
                              Yes, the database Les Fleurs de l'Orient; http://www.farhi.org , found from the above mentioned Sephardic heritage project, has 55 Mendozas listed (Click for Surnames list, beginning with M). A lot of Lopez/Lopes are also found.
                              Last edited by LeoLoS; 3 November 2006, 11:40 PM.

Comment

Yes, the database Les Fleurs de l'Orient; http://www.farhi.org , found from the above mentioned Sephardic heritage project, has 55 Mendozas listed (Click for Surnames list, beginning with M). A lot of Lopez/Lopes are also found.
                                As for Jewish Mendozas, we have the great boxing champion of England 1792-1795, Daniel Mendoza, ancestor of the celebrated British actor Peter Sellers.
                                Dan Mendoza was a real champ.

Comment

Working...
                                X