X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jim Barrett
    replied
    Originally posted by Carolene View Post
    My mother in law ordered a family finder test and would like me to print a report for her. The FAQ section mentions a report called "Understanding My Results" in .pdf format. Does anyone know where to find this report?
    At the bottom of the Match page you can download her matches as a CVS or Excel. If she has 1,000s of matches this gets very long. If she has matches who have many surnames listed this makes the report very wide.

Of course you can control what you elect to print.

Leave a comment:

• KATM
    replied
    I think you are referring to the .pdf titled "Interpreting Genetic Genealogy Results," which was written by Blaine Bettinger. On the Dashboard page (when you log in), you should see it with a stylized image that looks like a tablet. On my browser, this is currently showing underneath the "Your Account" section of the left column on the page. The text says "Interpret Your Results" and "Download Your eBook!"

However, this will NOT have any personalized information for your mother-in-law. It is about 50 pages, with 5 chapters:
    1. What is Genetic Genealogy?
    2. How Do I Interpret My Y-DNA Results?
    3. How Do I Interpret My mt-DNA Results?
    4. How Do I Interpret My Family Finder Results?
    5. Monitoring the Field of Genetic Genealogy

This is version 2.1 of this eBook/.pdf, and is dated 2008. The information in the Family Finder chapter (at least) is outdated, as it refers to the "Population Finder," which was the ethnicity tool before myOrigins 1.0 (current version is 2.0).

It would be best of all if you could sit down at a computer with her, to show her results to her. But, if she is not located near you, or doesn't have access to a computer and you really want to put together something on paper to give her, read on.

If you yourself are new to Family Finder, and especially if trying to explain it to your mother-in-law, you may want to read up about it in the Learning Center first. Select "MyFTDNA User Guide," and from the drop down menu choose "Family Finder Pages." Perhaps you could print some of that information to put into a report for her as well. Copy & paste if necessary.

Otherwise, there is no real "report" that you could print, but you could print some of the Family Finder pages in her account, to give her an idea of what she is getting with her Family Finder results:
    • The "myOrigins" map should work, if you minimize the "Shared Origins/My Ancestral History" panel at the lower left, and make sure to expand the Ethnic Makeup panel by clicking the "expand all" link there. You will need to figure out if saving a screen shot will give you a better result over simply printing the page. It depends on how your browser does these things.
    • You could do the same (print or save a screen shot to print) for the first page of her Family Finder Matches page, to give her an idea of that. You may want to click on "Relationship Range" first, to put the list in that order.
    • Ancient Origins - same thing here.
    • Chromosome Browser - you can select one to five of her closest matches, to illustrate how that displays, then same as above for printing.

Make sure that you can explain, or include an explanation of any pages that you do print out to give her, and/or include information from the Learning Center on Family Finder.

There should be some way that FTDNA could provide a printed report. National Geographic has figured out how to provide a printable report of results for their Geno 2 kit, although the difference there is that the Geno 2 report is almost all the ethnicity breakdown and tracking the haplogroups back through time; they don't provide matching or a chromosome browser, so there's none of that included.
    Last edited by KATM; 31 May 2017, 10:25 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Carolene
    started a topic Can I print a report of results?

Can I print a report of results?

My mother in law ordered a family finder test and would like me to print a report for her. The FAQ section mentions a report called "Understanding My Results" in .pdf format. Does anyone know where to find this report?
Working...
X