Male Matches Me on Mtdna

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Male Matches Me on Mtdna

I am a female with a male Family Finder DNA Match on the x chromosome. Relationship range is 3rd to 5th cousins. I think that means we definitely match on both our maternal sides and that we have one of the 3 in common: a great,great grandmother, a great, great,great grandmother or a great,great, great,great grandmother in common based or the 3rd-5th cousin range. I am new to Family Finder and trying to understand how I am related to my matches. Thanks much

I'm a bit confused as to which test the male took that shows the X chromosome match to you as you are heading your post with Male matches me on mtDNA. The X chromosome isn't part of the mtDNA test rather a part of the Family Finder autosomal DNA test. And you mentioned he was a FF match on the X. Did he do a mtDNA test as well?

A man gets his X chromosome 100% from his mother, but she gets her X chromosome from both her father and mother. It isn't a straight shot back down the mother's mother's mother's line. That's the mitochondrial test and uses an entirely different DNA than the Family Tree. You might want to Google an X chromosome inheritance chart/male for a good visual of the various lines back that a male can get his X DNA from. There are also ones showing the female inheritance possibilities as well.

Comment

Which mtDNA test did you have? Was it the full mitochondrial sequence?

Comment

Correction.. We match on Family Finder not MtDNA

Sorry about the confusion in my question. He is an X match on Family Finder. I genuinely appreciate the feedback and suggestions.

Comment

I haven't found X-matches to be very useful to date, especially for females because they have SO many.

I have a couple of females kits that share about 20cM on the X-chromosome with a male and FF estimated the relationship at about 2nd to 4th cousin. When I first made contact his wife was very keen to tell me all about her husband's paternal line from Scotland but I doubted that was it.

I suggested that because of this X-match it was more likely to be via his mother, and once I knew his mother's maiden name the connection was obvious. He is a PATERNAL relative to my females relatives via their paternal grandmother.

Many of the X-matches are tiny segments so don't let that fool you. I have kits that are "X-matches" with paternal relatives that shouldn't match but they do share little segments.

Comment

My Maternal Male Cousin's X Chromosome

Adrian's mother and my mother are sisters. His daughter matches me on the X Chromosome. Could it be as simple as him getting his X Chromosome from his mother passing it to his daughter then her X Chromosome matching mine because my mother
            and Adrian's mother were sisters..end of mystery??? Wanted to get some feedback. Thanks!!!

Comment

Sounds right. Adrian would have gotten his X-Chromosome from his mother, his Y-Chromosome from his father.

If he has a child, he either passed his Y-Chromosome to it, and it is a boy; or he passed his X-Chromosome to it, and it is a girl.

Comment

Working...
              X