X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Control Problem

Hello everyone.
    I have a question for you.

I received a Family Finder kit last month and the test results come.
    I don't control my kit number on bottle and package.
    Is it possible that my test results will get mixed up?

I was many times ask a Family Tree Dna customer service but they don't answer me.

Thanks.

Mine were mixed up and some poor sap had the surprise of finding out he was a father. My results were totally different before they sorted it out but it didn't take long.

Comment

Originally posted by canadienne View Post
      Hello everyone.
      I have a question for you.

I received a Family Finder kit last month and the test results come.
      I don't control my kit number on bottle and package.
      Is it possible that my test results will get mixed up?

I was many times ask a Family Tree Dna customer service but they don't answer me.

Thanks.
      Did you complete the test yourself, or did you have someone help you? If you swabbed your cheeks and put the swabs into the vials, then put the sealed vials into the plastic bag, and finally into the envelope and mailed it, everything should be fine.

When you say you "don't control your kit number on bottle and package," what do you mean? How do you think the results would get mixed up? Did the vials and release form (still a green card, I believe) have the same kit number? Is someone else managing your account?

If you received the results, you must have received an email with the login information to log in and see the results. The "kit number" part of the login should be the same as what was on your vials, etc.

Comment

I complete the test but i don't control on the bottle number to same with the kit.
        I'm just asking if the number in the bottle might be different. Because i don't control it.

Comment

Are you saying that someone else purchased the kit for you and mailed it to you? I don't think there will be any problem. The person who controls the kit was probably careful to see that you got the right one.

Comment

No no. I purchased, i mail it but i don't control my bottle number to same my kit number. Is that situation will be problem?

Comment

I think the word "control" is causing some difficulty here. Do you mean that you didn't compare the kit number shown on the vials (bottles) to the kit number that was sent to you in the email, with your password for your account? So, you are not sure if they were the same?

I'm sorry that FTDNA's Customer Service has not replied to you. I'm not sure if they could verify the number on the vials in storage, since I don't think the customer's name is connected to the stored vials. If it is, they should be able to compare the numbers, if you send them your kit number.
              Last edited by KATM; 17 May 2017, 12:51 PM.

Comment

My english level is not good, sorry about that.

My kit number is 111111 (just sample) i'm sure this. But Family Tree Dna say "check your kit number&bottle number, sure about the same number before sending"
                I'm sending but i forget about check my bottle number and paper number the same with the kit number.

Can it cause any confusion if I do not control it?
                My basically question is. I hope you are understand me.

Thanks.

Comment

Okay, let's think this through. If you order a Family Finder (or other test) as your first test at FTDNA, you will get an email with your kit number and a password to use to log in to your account.

You ordered a test, and got the kit in the mail. But you forgot to check the vials and release form to see if the numbers matched, and if they matched the kit number sent to you in email.

The odds are extremely good that you were sent the right kit, to match the number in the email. I think it will be all right, and not get mixed up. It would be very rare that your kit would be mixed up.

According to this video, The Ideal Life of a Family Tree DNA Kit, from about the 3:35 to 7:00 minute mark, when you order your kit, an email is automatically generated, sending the order information and account login information to the email account you specified. This image from the video (5:43) explains what happens next.
                  FTDNA_kit_assembly.jpg
                  From the list of new orders, they should properly match each order to the appropriate printed barcode and shipping labels.

Comment

canadienne
                    You can post question in language you are comfortable in, many on forum speak other languages.

If you only ordered one kit, then I would say you have nothing to be worried about.

If you ordered multiple kits (tests for different people), and did not check to make sure vial number and kit number of person doing the test matched, then you may have an issue with the results showing on wrong account.

Comment

Oh, i think problem is solved.
                      Family Tree Dna customer service send message and they say "We use 2B barcode system in bottles". This 2B barcode system answered my question.

Comment

I'm glad you got your answer from FTDNA.

Comment

Hello.

Do Family Tree Dna have the possibility to send another kit of bottles while you send me bottles?

Comment

For the same account: They will send extra vials if you ask them, either along with the original kit, or later, to add to the same account. This is good to do if you will be having an elderly relative giving a sample to test. That way, there will be more sample available to use if the original two vials run out, or cannot be used for another reason.

For a new kit (new person testing, new kit number): They will send a new kit to the same address, if you want to give it to another person to use.
                            Last edited by KATM; 24 May 2017, 03:05 PM.

Comment

My question is; Have they sent other kit numbered bottles instead of my kit numbered bottles?

Because I did not check my bottle number when sending.

Comment

Working...
                              X