Too many matches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Too many matches

I have been browsing my results for a few weeks now and am wondering about some things....

I started with 2000 matches and am adding roughly 50 a week. All 2nd cousin and greater. I quickly found a couple trees with common ancestors on my mothers side..but I share too much CM to account for the matches...even with a known x2 endogamy factor.

I know nothing about my fathers side....so its entirely possible to match on other lines.

I did a test on my match LEW to see how many of my matches are NOT in common with him and the answer was 58. The In Common With function bombs out and resets the filter so I can't confirm with the opposite filter.

If correct...LEW matches 2082 of my matches. really?

Would you conclude that I am from partially endogamous ancestry?

On my first attempt at a triangulation group for match AGM..I have over 90 matches sharing the same stacked segment...most with same start and end points.

I have too much info to make sense of. Am I cursed or blessed?

Is this normal?

Originally posted by atwein View Post
    I started with 2000 matches and am adding roughly 50 a week. All 2nd cousin and greater. I quickly found a couple trees with common ancestors on my mothers side..but I share too much CM to account for the matches...even with a known x2 endogamy factor.

I know nothing about my fathers side....so its entirely possible to match on other lines.

I did a test on my match LEW to see how many of my matches are NOT in common with him and the answer was 58. The In Common With function bombs out and resets the filter so I can't confirm with the opposite filter.

If correct...LEW matches 2082 of my matches. really?

Would you conclude that I am from partially endogamous ancestry?

On my first attempt at a triangulation group for match AGM..I have over 90 matches sharing the same stacked segment...most with same start and end points.

I have too much info to make sense of. Am I cursed or blessed?

Is this normal?
    It certainly sounds likely that at least on your mother's side your ancestry is from an endogamous population. To answer the question you end your post with, yes, what you've described is entirely normal for someone with ancestry from an endogamous population.

What is your known ancestry, especially on your mother's side? The most common endogamous populations among Americans (assuming you're American) are Ashkenazi Jews, Colonial Americans (especially with British immigrant ancestors before 1700), and French-Canadians. Do you have any of these ancestries?

Comment

Too many matches

I have one maternal line I am trying to prove leads to Settlers of Hartford and Middletown CT. Another maternal line goes back to 1642 New Amsterdam and descendants founded Greenwich, CT. Other maternal lines are Scotts Irish through Penna to Midwest. The LEW match is from a maternal Scotts Irish that marries into a German, Alsace Lorraine line with x2 endogamy factor common ancestor.

I share a total of 34cm with LEW, referencing the discovered CA, we are 6th cousins twice removed. Can't imagine the 13cm segment we share is due to that CA...my 7th gen...his 9th.

But I also see that there are Casey's in LEWs path to our CA and that is an early Acadian surname. Does that contribute to extra matches with me? Does that imply Acadian in my paternal mix?

Finally, I've discovered as well that my generation rate is low in my maternal line....I have 1 to 2 fewer generations than my matches to the 1700s.

Comment

That shared segment COULD be via your known common line, but doesn't prove it.

Read the very last bit of this article.
        https://dna-explained.com/2017/05/07...ancestors-159/

Comment

Too many matches

Thank you MMaddi and ltd-jean-pull.

OK....its possible the LEW shared segment is due to the found CA. Just not proved. I won't dismiss the possibility.

Comment

Working...
          X