Y-DNA not my surname

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Y-DNA not my surname

I am wondering why none of my matches have my surname - I have traced my paternal line back to 1748, when My ggggrandmother had a baby out of wedlock. Does this mean my matches are all further back than that? The only matches I have are level 1 or 2 for Y-37, and none in places I recognize. A friend of mine has 1200 matches for her father, none with her father's surname. Is this common? And is it possible that Y-DNA matches are so uncertain as to be a bit of a hoax?

Not buying more DNA tests, methinks!

What surname did the gggg grandmother give the out of wedlock baby? Is it believed that the surname belongs to the baby's father.

Jack

Comment

Also, with regard to the 37 marker matches with a GD of 1 and 2, do they mostly all have the same surname, or is there a mix of different surnames?

Comment

If your friend just tested at 12 markers, he needs to upgrade. 12 markers can give thousands of matches that are just about meaningless. About all it can tell you is the haplogroup.

Comment

I would have no matches at all at Y37 or Y67 if I hadn't arranged for cousins to test. They include a 6th cousin (most recent common ancestor born in 1724) and a 7th cousin (most recent ancestor born in 1703). They are a GD of 1 at both levels so, yes, it's entirely possible that your matches predate 1748.

Given that your combination of DNA and surname began in 1748 and that this ancestor probably didn't pass on his Y to sons until the 1770s/1780s, there haven't been many generations to build up a large gene pool. There just aren't likely to be many men in the world who have your DNA/name combination. Y-DNA tests are still uncommon, so you'd have to be extremely lucky to find that one of the few potential matches happens to have decided to take a Y37/Y67 test.

You haven't responded to the question about whether or not your matches have the same surname. If they do (or several do) then it can be taken as a clue about the father of your illegitimate ancestor. The fact that you don't recognise locations isn't necessarily a surprise: the locations are just what your matches have managed to research back to, but that might not be the location the family lived in one or two generations further back.

You said that your friend's father has 1200 matches. At what level? You can get lots of "matches" at Y12 or even Y25 which can be a mix of false matches and matches with people where the most recent common ancestor lived at a time before people adopted fixed surnames.

Comment

surname matches only count if those related to you AND with your same surname submit a DNA sample for show and tell.

Comment

Working...
            X