Best test(s) for adopted male ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best test(s) for adopted male ?

As an adopted male, which test(s) should I order for the most thorough info on my genetic history?

Originally posted by twnn
    As an adopted male, which test(s) should I order for the most thorough info on my genetic history?
    Hi,
    I'm in the same boat as you as an adopted male. I really had no clue as to what test to order, so I ordered the Y-DNA59+mtDNAPlus test.

It's probably more test than I needed initially, but I figured, what the heck.

I balanced the most test I could get with what I could afford at the time.

Comment

TWNN, adopted or not the tests are the same. The Y-DNA test may help you find other males who share a common ancestor. The more markers you have tested the better as it will help eliminate false matches. If your have a rare Haplotype you may not have any exact matches on 12 markers. If you have common Haplotype you may have 100's.

tmDNA may help you match with another person having a common maternal line. HVR1 will match with a very distance 10,000 years or more, HVR2 will be a little more recent, but neither will tend to be as close as the matches from Y-DNA.

As stated above get as much as you can afford, you can always add more later.

Comment

Thanks-but discarding price, what test or test would give me the most comprehensive data for both mother and father?

Comment

The answer is right on the FTDNA homepage

SuperDNA
          A most comprehensive maternal and paternal DNA test for genealogy and deep ancestral purposes.
          And then if you click on the SuperDNA link, you'll get this information:

Comprehensive Ancestral Tests
          Y-DNA67+mtDNAPlus: Y-DNA67+mtDNAPlus puts together the power of the Y-DNA67 and mtDNAPlus, allowing you to establish a clear picture of your direct maternal and paternal ancestry. Because it includes the Y-DNA, this test is only for males.

SuperDNA: SuperDNA is the most comprehensive and highest resolution DNA test available in the world for genealogy purposes. Since it includes the Y-DNA67, this is a male only test. It puts together the power of the Y-DNA67 and mtDNA Full Sequence, allowing you to establish a clear picture of your direct paternal and maternal lines for both genealogical and deep ancestral origins.
          The price for SuperDNA is steep -- almost $1000 -- and there are few who have done the mtDNA Full Sequence test so far. However, if money is no object, that's the most comprehensive test you can get today. If you don't want to go that steep, then the Y-DNA67+mtDNAPlus is the next best one and is under $500.

If you order through a project (instead of through the Order Now links on the test descriptions page), you'll get some price discounts. There is a project for adoptees at http://www.familytreedna.com/surname...1&special=true

Good luck!
          Elise
          Last edited by efgen; 5 June 2006, 11:10 PM.

Comment

Thanks all!

Comment

Working...
            X