Families with many intermarriages

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Families with many intermarriages

A cousin and I have been looking for the bio father of two people who came up on Ancestry matches as cousins. They showed up as half sibs. In exploring the tree, there are so many instances of where brothers married sisters, cousins married cousins, some with the same surname married, and the one cousin and I can trace relationships to each other through both sides of our parents. How does this affect our dna - should we match more dna than normal, or does it phase out and recombine in situations like this -

Originally posted by cmbearly View Post
    ...there are so many instances of where brothers married sisters, cousins married cousins, some with the same surname married, and the one cousin and I can trace relationships to each other through both sides of our parents. How does this affect our dna - should we match more dna than normal, or does it phase out and recombine in situations like this -
    A high frequency of "endogamy" often (but not always) produces an unusually high percentage of shared DNA, larger shared segments, and an inaccurately close estimate of "cousinship". I see this regularly with my French-Canadian matches.

Comment

Working...
    X