• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lgmayka
    replied
    FTDNA says:

http://www.familytreedna.com/facts_g...ct=show&nk=3.2
    ---
    The chart below shows the time frame of the common ancestor for a random match.

Test Time frame of common ancestor for a match
    =======================================
    mtDNA 50% of the time, 52 generations or less
    mtDNAPlus 50% of the time, 28 generations or less
    ---

Above, mtDNA refers to a match of HVR1 only, whereas mtDNAplus refers to an exact match of both HVR1 and HVR2.

FTDNA has later clarified that those time frames only apply if you and your match are in the same haplogroup. Different haplogroups indicate no common matrilineal ancestor within at least several thousand years.

So the bottom line is that if you exactly match the haplogroup, HVR1 mutations, and HVR2 mutations of someone else in the database, you probably share a common matrilineal ancestor (mother's mother's mother's mother...) within about 30 generations, or about 900 years.

If you want greater precision, you might want to consider your patrilineal line instead (father's father's father's father...). But that test requires a Y chromosome from a male relative such as your brother, father, brother's son, father's brother, or father's brother's son.

Note, however, that this greater precision is of little use to you unless potential relatives are in the database. I have tested my Y chromosome for 37 markers, but my closest match is only 31/37--no better than an mtDNA test. And my uncle's closest match is only 27/37 markers!
    Last edited by lgmayka; 4 June 2006, 09:16 PM.

Leave a comment:

Guest started a topic Trying to add a piece to my DNA puzzle

Trying to add a piece to my DNA puzzle

If anyone can help me understand a bit more about my background based upon my HVR1 results it would be most appreciated.

I participated in the Genographic Project through National Geographic several months ago. Yesterday, I uploaded my results to Mitosearch, and Family Tree DNA.

My HVR1 results are: 16223T, 16278T, 16294T, 16309G, 16368C, 16390A, 16519C. My halogroup is L2. I do understand that the L2 originated in East Africa, is now predominantly in West Africa and is common amongst African Americans. Is there anything else that I can learn from my results? I have found several people on mitosearch as well as family tree with exactly the same HVR1 as I have some had HVR2 results as well. Can I make the assumption that for those with the exact match of HVR1 as mine that we shared a common ancestor at some point (where a couple of years or thousands of years)?

Regards,

Karen
Working...
X