X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hollifer
    replied
    No, it's just my test here or anywhere.

I think I will create one GEDcom for my entire tree, and make private those that are still living. I guess I'll name it as all surnames the tree has.
    Last edited by hollifer; 27 April 2017, 02:17 PM.

Leave a comment:

• keigh
    replied
    Do you have more than one test done here at FTDNA? It is easier for your matches to relate to your entire tree than it is to come across a tree dedicated to just one name or family line.

I know that I've looked at a number of trees that are simply a segment of a person's entire tree, and have constantly had to tell my match that I can't find a common link as I may very well be matching through another line of their family which isn't being shown. Over at Ancestry it is easy for a person to do several trees, down their various lines. But it's hell for their matches to slog through (in one case 18 trees) to see if there was a common name even showing.

One of my matches connected her DNA to a great grandmother and, fortunately for her, I happened to recognize the name as being a 1st cousin something like 3 X's removed from me. But what about all her other matches who aren't linking to her through that particular set of great grandparents, the tree that she showed would be useless for them.

When I decided to do a DNA test at Ancestry, I had four trees going, one for each grandparent. I soon realized that having only one large tree was a much better way to show any match all of our possible DNA connections.

I used a pedigree tree that I'd developed on Ancestry to transfer here as a GEDcom. I think you can have only one GEDcom attached to your DNA here at FTDNA which would mean that if you are planning on using several different GEDcoms for different lines, I believe you would have to install and delete them as you wanted to work on different surnames. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Leave a comment:

• hollifer
    replied
    Originally posted by John McCoy View Post
    The people in your GEDCOM file should be related to each other -- that is, each one of them has either a parent or a child or a spouse that is also in the GEDCOM file. There shouldn't be any unattached individuals! Otherwise, the file would not be useful for your matches.
    I currently have five surnames. They all connect to me. There isn't any one lingering unattached to someone.

Leave a comment:

• John McCoy
    replied
    The people in your GEDCOM file should be related to each other -- that is, each one of them has either a parent or a child or a spouse that is also in the GEDCOM file. There shouldn't be any unattached individuals! Otherwise, the file would not be useful for your matches.

Leave a comment:

• hollifer
    replied
    Thanks! So, I'll make one big tree in my program and can then create GEDcom files by surname, if I want. It sounds easy enough.

Leave a comment:

• John McCoy
    replied
    The traditional method for using a genealogy program on your home computer or on a web site that supports user-entered genealogy such as Ancestry.com, is FIRST to enter all the data, including all of the marriages, children, etc. that you have gathered through your own research. Always include dates and places if you can, add notes to explain (to yourself) any odd situations, and include sources in some way that makes sense to you.

THEN, use the "export" options in your program to configure a GEDCOM file that meets your needs. For example, you will probably find an option to start with a specified person and include all of his or her ancestors, or all of the ancestors plus all of their children. Or, all of the descendants of a specified person, plus their spouses.

NEXT, there will probably be some options for how to deal with data for people who may be still living. For example, you may find an option to omit all data except the name, or even all data in addition to the name, for people who don't have a death date and who were born less than 100 years ago.

After selecting whatever options make sense, follow the instructions to export the GEDCOM file, and save it in a place and with a name that you will be able to find again.

For FTDNA, it will probably be no more difficult for you, and likely easier for your matches to navigate, if you just generate one GEDCOM for each kit.

Leave a comment:

• hollifer
    started a topic How to Make Trees for GEDcom

How to Make Trees for GEDcom

I have tree software, so am ready to make trees

Is there an easy, logical way to build a tree for a specific line? I have 4 lines I'm currently focusing on. Do I build separate ones for each line, where I'm the main person? Or, do I build one big one?

My end goal is upload GEDcoms for each line. I'm guessing that I should create a separate tree for each.

I'm a real newbie on building trees, so any advice is helpful. Thanks!
Working...
X