How to get DNA from passed relatives

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to get DNA from passed relatives

Both my parents are passed. I do have their ashes, however.

Is there a way to get raw DNA from ashes? If so, does anyone know of companies that would sequence this successfully?

I also have clips of hair from both, but not the roots.

My paternal uncle is living, but am not sure if he'd be willing to test. I have no male cousins that would match my father's Y-DNA. My uncle and father only had daughters.
    Last edited by hollifer; 22 April 2017, 11:16 AM.

I read that cremation ashes can't be DNA-tested, and that hairs need the roots to be tested.

Comment

Everything I've heard is that it's much more difficult to get testable DNA from human remains and much more expensive. I definitely don't think that ashes from a cremation would yield any usable DNA. The high temperatures would probably destroy just about any DNA.

Comment

There are times when I wish I could dig up my great-grandfather and have his DNA tested! However I don't think the laws would ever allow people to do that except in extreme circumstances involving crime or identity.

Can't you just see a new business testing the DNA of deceased loved ones springing up!

Comment

Of course, after I wrote this, I googled and found that cremation's high temp destroys DNA and you need the hair follicle, which still isn't 100%. Oh well.

Comment

Never say never:

https://privatelabresults.com/cremat...s-dna-testing/

While you would think that the heat destroys everything, usually some bones and teeth remain to be mechanically crushed. Some DNA may have been protected by the bone and teeth, but released when crushed.

Jack

Comment

Sources of DNA

I have read of several instances of forensic DNA being lifted from licked envelopes, decades later.

That said, it's possible that would be mitochondrial DNA only, which is what I think most ancient DNA studies have used, due to it existing in so much greater amounts.

So, in theory, it might be technically feasible for us to get DNA that way for genealogical research, it could well be so expensive to make it beyond the reach of family historians.

Comment

Roberta Estes had a blog post about this a few years ago: "Digging Up Dad, Exhumation and Forensic Testing Alternatives"

If you go to near the end of the post, there are two lists. One describes some things which can be used for DNA from deceased people; it mentions a couple of items that you might keep, in case testing improves in the future. The other is a summing up of the main points of the article.

Comment

Originally posted by hollifer View Post
                  Both my parents are passed. I do have their ashes, however.

Is there a way to get raw DNA from ashes? If so, does anyone know of companies that would sequence this successfully?

I also have clips of hair from both, but not the roots.

My paternal uncle is living, but am not sure if he'd be willing to test. I have no male cousins that would match my father's Y-DNA. My uncle and father only had daughters.
                  You can get much of your parents DNA by testing yourself and your siblings plus aunts and uncles. You also would have the mtDNA of your mother and as far a Y-DNA if your paternal unlce won't test just trace the paternal line back as far as you can then look for direct male descendants to see if you might be able to find one willing to test. You should ask your uncle first as you wont know if he'd test or not until you ask.

Comment

I understand that the DNA is possible to be extracted from a stamp that was licked by your person of interest...

Comment

Working...
                    X