Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Could MyOrigins 9% So. European & 5% Near East be recent?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Could MyOrigins 9% So. European & 5% Near East be recent?

Hi. I am a total DNA newbie interested in the meaning of my new MyOrigins results and how it aligns with what I know of my family background:

My Origins 2.0 results:
    British Isles 46%
    Scandinavia 22%
    Central/Western Europe 15%
    So. Europe 9%
    Near East 5%
    Finland <2%
    Oceania <2%

Ancient Origins:
    Metal Age 13%
    Neolithic Farmer 44%
    Hunter Gatherer 43%

What I know about my ethnic/geographic background:

Paternal Grandfather: Scotland (migrated to U.S. in 1880's)
    Paternal Grandmother: unknown (adopted in U.S. in 1800's)
    Maternal Grandfather: Luxembourg (family migrated to U.S. in 1840's)
    Maternal Grandmother: Norway (family migrated to U.S. in 1840's)

I have had my mtdna tested and I am Haplogroup H1ap1.

Given this information, I'm confident in the results for the first three categories from My Origins; British Isle, Scandinavia and Western/Central Europe. My question is: Since no one in our family has a recollection of any known ancestors from the regions of Southern Europe, are those 9% and 5% figures MOST LIKELY to reflect neolithic migrations of near eastern farmers? or could these percentages indicate more recent migrations in to Britain, Scandinavia and West/Central Europe say within the last 500 years?

I truly appreciate any insight or guidance you would like to share.
    Last edited by Laurie_Robinson; 12 April 2017, 03:27 PM. Reason: adding Haplogroup

I think recent...

I'm no expert here but 9 % is still quite high... so most likely within the last 500 years or so.
    I'm mostly Swedish but I had a polish ancestor that migrated to Sweden in the 1670:s (one person only) and I now have an estimated 2 % polish genes remaining from him (some 350 years later).
    I hope this helped somewhat.

Comment

The updated My Origins is giving lots of people quite crazy results. I've suddenly been given 29% Iberian which doesn't fit at all with the known family, or with the results for my brother and sister, or with the old My Origins or with any test at other companies.

If you want to see if your results are likely to be accurate, create a free account at Gedmatch.com and upload your raw data. They have lots of different admixture calculators so you can see if any of those agree that you have some southern European or Near Eastern ancestry.

Comment

Originally posted by falkjohan View Post
        I'm no expert here but 9 % is still quite high... so most likely within the last 500 years or so.
        I'm mostly Swedish but I had a polish ancestor that migrated to Sweden in the 1670:s (one person only) and I now have an estimated 2 % polish genes remaining from him (some 350 years later).
        I hope this helped somewhat.
        Thank you; this is what I was thinking as well. There is almost no paper trail in my family back more than two or three generations in some places and none in others. I suspect that movements around the European continent in the last 500 years likely explains it.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveInGreece View Post
          The updated My Origins is giving lots of people quite crazy results. I've suddenly been given 29% Iberian which doesn't fit at all with the known family, or with the results for my brother and sister, or with the old My Origins or with any test at other companies.

If you want to see if your results are likely to be accurate, create a free account at Gedmatch.com and upload your raw data. They have lots of different admixture calculators so you can see if any of those agree that you have some southern European or Near Eastern ancestry.
          Thank you for your reply. I've seen lots of comments to this effect and I do expect that MyOrigins ins't the last word. The first MY actually had me with 22% Southern European and a lesser amount in British Isles and Scandinavia; though with about 10% more in Central Western Europe. The GEDMATCH Eurogenes Oracles do bring up some admixtures from Slovenia, Croatia, Serbia, Bulgaria, Austria and Hungary. I suspect that I may have had an ancestor in the last 500 or so years who lived in the southern part of the Austro-Hungarian Empire....

Comment

Working...
          X