Contact from close dna match

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Contact from close dna match

I received a reply from my closest (35/37) dna match. Having ancestors in Germany is questionable. He has no real evidence other than his surname that he is German. I hope to pursue it a little more.

Sobo43

The immigration records at Ellis Island

http://www.ellisisland.org

are useful if the ancestor happened to come to the United States in the right time period (roughly 1878-1924). The immigrant's home city is recorded.

Comment

The immigration records on the Ellis Island website are from 1892-1924.

See the Castle Garden website for immigration records from 1820-1891:

http://www.castlegarden.org/

Ancestry.com, which is a subscription website but can be accessed for free at most local library branches, also has NY immigration records through 1891 and then approx 1935-1938. Ancestry also has the immigration records for Baltimore, Philadelphia, Boston and various other ports.

The city of Hamburg also has emigration records from the port of Hamburg online for 1890-1910 so far. I believe they'll eventually have 1850-1934 online.

http://ltyr.hamburg.de/

Elise

Comment

Sobo...

I would be very excited!!!! Doesn't that close of a match with the same surname mean the probility is high that the person is related?

Comment

No luck

Sorry the names are not even close! Polish vs German?

Comment

What about the possibility of false parenthood due to the horrors of one of the world wars?

Comment

No luck
              I just read your profile. Were you born in Poland?

Comment

Check my previous thread

Please check my previous thread and you'll understand the issues. No, I am an American with a Polish Surname who's family came from Lithuania around 1891 - 1900.

Sobo43

Comment

Sobo43 is DEFINITELY not German Paternally!

I received a reply from my closest (35/37) dna match. Having ancestors in Germany is questionable. He has no real evidence other than his surname that he is German. I hope to pursue it a little more.
                  Please check my previous thread and you'll understand the issues. No, I am an American with a Polish Surname who's family came from Lithuania around 1891 - 1900.
                  I found false parenthood in my mother's father's side through Y-DNA and embraced it. I even found out who the biological ancestry was thanks to Y-DNA!

But okay...I have now been to all of the postings that you mentioned and have read all that and I now opine that I am witnessing a major denial of having anything to do with a paternal ancestry that is German...almost a motive of German hatred. You do not want to even consider that your paternal ancestry might even be German so it is not so.

Congratulations! I hereby confirm by the power of hearsay that your ancestry is 100% non-German and that the 35/37 German Y-DNA data of another surname that states otherwise is not so because...because...well...just because it is not 37/37 and because you say so! Perhaps some evil hacker planted that false 35/37 match just to jive you!

Whatever...its your 35/37-marker denial!

Comment

Reading too much into it.

You are reading too much into it. I don't care if my family is Polish, Lithuanian , German or Native American; I just want to know, who, when and where.

Comment

Originally posted by Sobo43

Sobo43
                      What do you mean? Can't you tell if your DNA is from Germany or not with all this testing? Usually a match is accurately a match,so uh what more do you want? I've about 4 exact matches,and I don't know anything about them ,except that our genes match and we're tribal cousins,that's it.

Comment

Here we go again

My surname is Polish. I can trace my Great Grandparents to Siauliai, Lithuania. My Y DNA 12 - 25 shows multiple hits in Scotland, Ireland , England and only a few in Germany. My closest hit 35/37 has a German last name but he doesn't know if he has German ancestry. He is only assuming he is German. Please check my previous Thread (Surname - Haplogroup don't match) for the previous discussion. Surnames change over the generations for many reasons - I have a cousin who's real name is Joe Sobolewski, who changed it to Lars Hansen. Does that make him Swedish?

Comment

Working...
                        X