No announcement yet.

Poll - Popularity of Family Tree softwares

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A lot of this, I believe, depends on what software you have been using and are used to working with. I started with PAF in the early days when that was about all that was available, then switched to Ancestral Quest (windows format) when it came out. I also had Family Tree Maker in order to read their CDs (have a lot of them and so far none have given any good information). Several forums that I am on have said that The Master Genealogist is THE BEST. I purchased it and tried it out, but still felt more at home with Ancestral Quest. So, again, you get used to something and like it because you know how it works. Most of the AQ updates are downloads at no cost, and when an infrequent major upgrade occurs, the cost is minimal. On the other hand, I could never keep up with Family Tree Maker as their updates were frequent and costly.
    Aren't we lucky to have these wonderful programs!
    Stella

Comment

Poll Totals

Max:

The numbers I see as of May 14,2003. Total = 30, should be 36. The percentages are correct for the correct total (36). So only the total is wrong. Refreshing the browser doesn't change it.

Bill

Comment

Re: Poll Totals

Originally posted by WBDave
        Max:
        The numbers I see as of May 14,2003. Total = 30, should be 36. The percentages are correct for the correct total (36). So only the total is wrong. Refreshing the browser doesn't change it.
        Bill
        OK.... I found what's happening: some people voted twice. They use, for example Family Tree Maker and PAF. That's why the total number of votes is different from the other total, which represents the number of people that voted. If one software is preferred over the other I would like just one vote for the preferred. If someone indeed works with two, that's OK to have multiple boxes checked.
        Max Blankfeld
        Vice-President and COO @ Family Tree DNA
        A Gene by Gene Company

Comment

I use Family Origins and have had good results with it for many years until recently and it is starting to freeze up on me. I may be looking into programs others are using. Does anyone enter DNA information into their program? Thanks
          Joy

Comment

I started this geno computer usage this Feb. after a 30yr lay off.
            I started with PAF3 -> PAF4 -> PAF5.2 which I liked the best.
            I bought a copy of FTM. I had trouble getting it to take a GEDCOM
            from PAF5.2. I didn't care for the screen presentation.
            I download the RootsMagic demo program. Once I got use to it
            I really liked it. I just bought the program plus the instruction book. I am already impressed with all the options that I did not
            have on PAF.
            RWButler

Comment

I am given to understand the the support for Family Origins is
              dying out and the person who wrote it has started the
              RootsMagic program.

Comment

Working...
              X