Do Ydna tests give you your ancestry?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do Ydna tests give you your ancestry?

Do the Ydna tests also give you your ancestry also? European, African, Native, American, etc. thanx.

Y-DNA gives you your high level paternal Haplogroup which indicates the origin of your paternal line. You'll need Y-DNA SNP testing for additional information on your paternal Haplogroup.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Barrett View Post
      Y-DNA gives you your high level paternal Haplogroup which indicates the origin of your paternal line. You'll need Y-DNA SNP testing for additional information on your paternal Haplogroup.
      What is y-dna snp testing?

Comment

You probably want the Family Finder test to get an ethnicity report. Y-DNA tests your father's father's father's etc. line. However, I wouldn't put much faith in any ethnicity prediction.

Comment

Originally posted by MoberlyDrake View Post
          You probably want the Family Finder test to get an ethnicity report. Y-DNA tests your father's father's father's etc. line. However, I wouldn't put much faith in any ethnicity prediction.
          That's correct. Unless someone has taken the Big Y test, SNP testing relates to haplogroup subclades that in most cases are over 1,000 years old. Given the migrations just in Europe alone over the last several thousand years, in most cases you can't pin down ethnic ancestry by knowing your subclade.

If the original poster wants to know his overall ethnic/geographic ancestry, he'll have to order Family Finder, which includes that feature. However, the estimate he'll get will relate to all the lines in his tree taken together, not just the strict paternal line - father, paternal grandfather, paternal grandfather's father, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by MMaddi View Post
            That's correct. Unless someone has taken the Big Y test, SNP testing relates to haplogroup subclades that in most cases are over 1,000 years old. Given the migrations just in Europe alone over the last several thousand years, in most cases you can't pin down ethnic ancestry by knowing your subclade.

If the original poster wants to know his overall ethnic/geographic ancestry, he'll have to order Family Finder, which includes that feature. However, the estimate he'll get will relate to all the lines in his tree taken together, not just the strict paternal line - father, paternal grandfather, paternal grandfather's father, etc.
            How can i get just my paternal line's ancestry?

Comment

Originally posted by OrourkeKing View Post
              That's not easily possible using yDNA testing, for the reasons mentioned in my previous post. For the most part, knowing your yDNA haplogroup will just tell you if the deep ancestry (over 1,000 years) is European, East Asian or sub-Saharan African. The only exception is the Big Y SNP test, which will give you SNPs that are less than 1,000 years old.

Comment

What is y-dna snp testing?
                Read https://www.familytreedna.com/learn/dna-basics/ydna/

After ordering one of the Y-DNA tests FTDNA will predict your Haplogroup. You need this prediction to have a place to start your Y-DNA SNP testing. Once that is done you will have several options for ordering Y-DNA SNPs.

Comment

Read https://www.familytreedna.com/learn/dna-basics/ydna/

After ordering one of the Y-DNA tests FTDNA will predict your Haplogroup. You need this prediction to have a place to start your Y-DNA SNP testing. Once that is done you will have several options for ordering Y-DNA SNPs.
                  Ok. Lets say i order the Y12 OR y37, etc. I will be given my haplogroup. If i want to go further and do SNP testing, is there a order link for the SNP testing? How do your order a SNP test? This may sound like a stupid question, but i dont know anything about all this genetic testing. Thanx...

Comment

If you want to find out more about your paternal side's ancestry:
                    Do you have relatives on your father's side who are living and could take a Family Finder test? Ideally, this would be your paternal line great-grandfather, paternal grandfather, father, or a full sibling of those, if any are living. Paternal side cousins would help, too. And for all, the oldest generation available would be the best to test.

That would give you an idea of your father's more recent (250-500 years) ancestry. You would have your paternal relative's myOrigins, and could see if that relative's matches show a preponderance of any particular ethnicity.

This would not strictly be only your direct paternal line (father's father's father, etc.), as Y-DNA testing would, but it would give you an idea about your father's ancestry (paternal side, vs. direct paternal line). It's a matter of filtering out the maternal sides of such relatives, which can be done if you test the right relatives with Family Finder, using a family tree in their account. See https://www.familytreedna.com/learn/...tching-system/

Comment

Ok. Lets say i order the Y12 OR y37, etc. I will be given my haplogroup.
                      Don't go for Y-DNA12, it is far too basic to get any significance out of your matches. You should do at least Y-DNA25 OR Y-DNA37.

If you join a project when you order, you get a $20 discount and can choose the Y-DNA25 if you want. The 37 is probably a better option if you can afford it, but the 25 is not too bad either. There is a project group for your surname. You should order your DNA test from this page:
                      https://www.familytreedna.com/group-...?Group=Orourke

You will get a list of matches, many of whom list their earliest known paternal ancestor. In that way, your matches might give you an idea of where your ancestors came from.

Comment

Ok. Lets say i order the Y12 OR y37, etc. I will be given my haplogroup. If i want to go further and do SNP testing, is there a order link for the SNP testing? How do your order a SNP test? This may sound like a stupid question, but i dont know anything about all this genetic testing. Thanx...
                        If you order even a yDNA 12 marker test, you'll be given a predicted haplogroup, as Jim Barrett mentioned in his post. Almost half of men with European ancestry will be in the R-M269 haplogroup. For those with Irish and British ancestry, well more than half will be predicted to be R-M269. Given your posting name here, OrourkeKing, I'm guessing that your paternal line is probably Irish, although I may be wrong about that. So, it's likely, although not certain, that your predicted haplogroup will be R-M269.

Assuming that to be true, once you're predicted to be R-M269, an offer from FTDNA will appear on your account home page which will be for the R1b-M343 Backbone SNP pack. The SNP pack costs $99 and will test for 137 SNPs, most of which are downstream from M269. If you order that, it will tell you which branch of M269 you're on, but that will probably only get you down to a SNP that's 3,000-4,000 years old. If you want to get down to a more recent SNP, you'll have to order one or even possibly two more SNP packs. The more downstream SNP pack(s) will get you down to a SNP that's probably in the range of 1,500-2,000 years old, perhaps a bit younger.

However, it sounds like you have unrealistic expectations about the ability of yDNA SNP testing to tell you the ethnic ancestry of your strict paternal line. SNP testing of yDNA can not nail down the specific ethnic ancestry of your strict paternal line, which is the point of my previous posts in this thread.

Also, it depends on how long ago you want to know the ethnic ancestry of your paternal line. If you want to know about the line's ancestry in a genealogical time frame (within the last 1,000 years), then testing 67 STRs and looking at the ancestry of your closest matches will tell you more than SNP testing will, unless you're willing to the spend the money for Big Y testing. The Big Y is far more comprehensive than SNP packs and has more resolution. But if you're just interested in the last 1,000 years, then testing 67 STRs is probably good enough and much cheaper than Big Y.

Comment

Originally posted by MMaddi View Post
                          If you order even a yDNA 12 marker test, you'll be given a predicted haplogroup, as Jim Barrett mentioned in his post. Almost half of men with European ancestry will be in the R-M269 haplogroup. For those with Irish and British ancestry, well more than half will be predicted to be R-M269. Given your posting name here, OrourkeKing, I'm guessing that your paternal line is probably Irish, although I may be wrong about that. So, it's likely, although not certain, that your predicted haplogroup will be R-M269.

Assuming that to be true, once you're predicted to be R-M269, an offer from FTDNA will appear on your account home page which will be for the R1b-M343 Backbone SNP pack. The SNP pack costs $99 and will test for 137 SNPs, most of which are downstream from M269. If you order that, it will tell you which branch of M269 you're on, but that will probably only get you down to a SNP that's 3,000-4,000 years old. If you want to get down to a more recent SNP, you'll have to order one or even possibly two more SNP packs. The more downstream SNP pack(s) will get you down to a SNP that's probably in the range of 1,500-2,000 years old, perhaps a bit younger.

However, it sounds like you have unrealistic expectations about the ability of yDNA SNP testing to tell you the ethnic ancestry of your strict paternal line. SNP testing of yDNA can not nail down the specific ethnic ancestry of your strict paternal line, which is the point of my previous posts in this thread.

Also, it depends on how long ago you want to know the ethnic ancestry of your paternal line. If you want to know about the line's ancestry in a genealogical time frame (within the last 1,000 years), then testing 67 STRs and looking at the ancestry of your closest matches will tell you more than SNP testing will, unless you're willing to the spend the money for Big Y testing. The Big Y is far more comprehensive than SNP packs and has more resolution. But if you're just interested in the last 1,000 years, then testing 67 STRs is probably good enough and much cheaper than Big Y.
                          Thanx for this in depth response. I appreciate all the responses. I finally got a overstanding on what i need to do. Based on your response, i should go for the 67 marker test, compare results and leave it at that. I know who my most distant known relative on my father's side is SUPPOSE to be, and i've found kits in different project groups that have matches to that relative. Thanx again...

Oh, and yes, i should be found to be Irish, French and some other nationalities after taking the genetic tests. I'm suppose to be Irish on both my paternal and maternal line, i was just trying to be specific for personal reasons.
                          Last edited by OrourkeKing; 27 February 2017, 12:22 PM.

Comment

The question is stupid only if you already know the answer.

If there is a surname project or a region project that matches your surname or region of paternal origin you should place your order through that project. FTDNA gives a discount on the first Y-DNA test ordered through a project. If you'll provide your surname I'll check to a possible project.

When you order your kit FTDNA will send you your kit number and a password to use to access the website they create for your kit. In the upper right hand corner there will be a blue "Upgrade" button. Click on it and you'll be taken to an order page. Scroll down that page looking for "Advanced Tests" on the left hand side of the page. Click on the blue "Buy Now" button. In the "Filter" section of the new page you can select SNP or SNP Pack and select the item you wish to order.

When you have your Y-DNA results you'll have access to a "Haplogroup & SNPs" page. Depending on your "Predicted" Haplogroup FTDNA may suggest a SNP Pack. At least look at your Y-DNA matches before ordering any SNP test to see if they have done any SNP testing. You could use that as a guide. You may be able to join a Haplogroup project where the admin may help you make a choice.

Y-DNA37 is the very minimum you should order. Depending upon your matches, which you won't know until you get your results, Y-DNA67 may be a much better choice.

Comment

The question is stupid only if you already know the answer.

If there is a surname project or a region project that matches your surname or region of paternal origin you should place your order through that project. FTDNA gives a discount on the first Y-DNA test ordered through a project. If you'll provide your surname I'll check to a possible project.

When you order your kit FTDNA will send you your kit number and a password to use to access the website they create for your kit. In the upper right hand corner there will be a blue "Upgrade" button. Click on it and you'll be taken to an order page. Scroll down that page looking for "Advanced Tests" on the left hand side of the page. Click on the blue "Buy Now" button. In the "Filter" section of the new page you can select SNP or SNP Pack and select the item you wish to order.

When you have your Y-DNA results you'll have access to a "Haplogroup & SNPs" page. Depending on your "Predicted" Haplogroup FTDNA may suggest a SNP Pack. At least look at your Y-DNA matches before ordering any SNP test to see if they have done any SNP testing. You could use that as a guide. You may be able to join a Haplogroup project where the admin may help you make a choice.

Y-DNA37 is the very minimum you should order. Depending upon your matches, which you won't know until you get your results, Y-DNA67 may be a much better choice.
                              Another very good response. I appreciate this also. You cleared up how the PROCESS would go after i order my kit. I've already got a few projects that i'm looking at in which my surname has possible matches.

Comment

Working...
                              X