Linked relationships

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linked relationships

I've been doing traditional genealogy for 15 years, but am brand new to DNA Genealogy. So far, I've been successful at validating some of my prior research with Family Finder results.
    I have made some linked relationships. Sometimes this linking will result in a precise relationship appearing on the match page, ie, 3rd cousin,4th cousin, etc. Other times, in more distant matches, it does not produce the relationship on the match page. Can someone tell me if I'm doing something wrong, or is this to be expected on 10th cousins? I've read the forums and information and can't find the answer. Thanks in advance!

I tried linking five of my matches and four of them worked perfectly with the description showing up. However the fifth one just keeps showing the icon to add a new linked relationship even though in my tree the person does appear to be linked. It is the most remotely connected one that fails to show up so maybe we have the same problem.

Comment

I have the same thing as you epp. I'm thinking that FTDNA does not list beyond 3rd cousin relationships. I have a two matches (father/son) that are 4C3R and 5C2R.

Comment

Originally posted by high734 View Post
        I have the same thing as you epp. I'm thinking that FTDNA does not list beyond 3rd cousin relationships. I have a two matches (father/son) that are 4C3R and 5C2R.
        I have two 5C where the link displays but not for any connection further back. I also have a 2C6X and 2C7X that do NOT show a connection. Of my 15 connections, only four show as link in my match list.

Comment

Does linking kits not create phased results for ethnicity calculation? If not are there plans to use the phased results for ethnicity?

Comment

Originally posted by cbeck View Post
            Does linking kits not create phased results for ethnicity calculation? If not are there plans to use the phased results for ethnicity?
            They calculate ethnicity by comparing your DNA to DNA samples of a known origin.

I believe linked relationships are used for the auto-phasing of your autosomal DNA, though you must share at least 9cM for the link to be included in the phasing algorithm.

Comment

With regard to a previous post in this thread... Do the reference groups for admixture estimates have a "known origin"?

Two ways to answer that:

1. No, because we, the customers, are not told about the background of these individuals; and

2. No, if we mean that the ethnic origins of everyone in a reference group have been proven by modern genealogical standards.

More likely, we are dealing with presumed origins that make these individuals likely members of a particular reference group. Another significant fact that we usually aren't told is the number of samples in each reference group, a very important statistic, given that the reference group is made to serve as a proxy for an entire "ethnic" population.

However, if something like principal component analysis is used to detect and characterize the various labeled ethnic groups (and I don't actually know that this approach is being used), at least the result should be a set of clusters whose statistical significance can be assessed (even if not reported to the customers), and a statistical score describing likely membership in those clusters can be computed for any individual customer. Any reference group samples that don't cluster (outliers) can and should be pruned away before the final reference clusters are characterized, and in this sense, the methodology for deriving the reference clusters is to some extent self-correcting. However, without further information, I don't see how the customer can evaluate the statistical significance and reliability of the result.

Comment

I too have some problems with the linked relationships (and have posted on another thread, at Linked Relationships not working?).

But one of mine not working is a first cousin, so that doesn't conform to what other people have found. Further, I think that one was showing before, but not now.

It seems there may be a small bug in the linked relationships (not entirely surprising as it must be a huge task to calculate and show all that).

Comment

Working...
                X