Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are we related if in different halogroups?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are we related if in different halogroups?

I have had my Dad tested and he is in Haplogroup J-L 1253, was in J-M267 and SNP L1253. I have been corresponding with someone in Haplogroup J-Z18186 that thinks we are related. I am so confused. I cannot make sense of the results. Thanks.

Yes you could be related in lines other than direct paternal/maternal if in different haplogroups. Now if you are comparing direct paternal lineages it depends on the level testing each have done; one or the other might be in a more recent subclade than the other simply based on having tested more.

Comment

Originally posted by MGL View Post
      I have had my Dad tested and he is in Haplogroup J-L 1253, was in J-M267 and SNP L1253. I have been corresponding with someone in Haplogroup J-Z18186 that thinks we are related. I am so confused. I cannot make sense of the results. Thanks.
      Has the other person SNP tested for L1253? L1253 is downstream of Z18186.

How close are your STR results?

Comment

Thanks for the responses.

"Has the other person SNP tested for L1253? L1253 is downstream of Z18186.
        How close are your STR results?"

Answers: Yes, the other person has been tested for L1253 and confirmed. He has only done the YDNA37 test. My Dad has done YDNA67.
        We are 2 genetic distances off. At DYS 385 (13-18 vs 14-17), at DYS 460 (10 vs 11), at DYS 570 (17 vs 18) and at CDY (35-37 vs 34-37).
        Thanks for any advice!

Comment

So both cases belong to L1253. According to an advanced analysis by one of the administrators of the FTDNA J1 Project, the results of which are this tree ---
          http://genogenea.com/J-M267/tree

...the L1253 cases share a common paternal ancestor who lived about 554 years ago.

So that's the 15th century, a time when probably not all families had surnames.

If you look up the FTDNA numbers under the boxes, sure enough, four are Grahams and one is a Jordan. So conclusion number one is that the man who brought L1253 to Britain lived before surnames were set.

Because you have 37 marker results for two L1253 cases, you can do another estimate of how long ago their common ancestor lived. I use this tool --- http://www.scs.illinois.edu/~mcdonald/tmrca.htm

In the boxes, fill in 37 markers, 5 nonmatching markers, and a mutation rate of 0.0042. Click on Create List. The 50% probability of how many generations ago their common direct paternal ancestor lived is 16 or 17 generations.

Use your preference of how long you think a generation should be (most people use 25 or 30 years) and multiply that by 16 or 17. There's your second estimate. 16.5 X 25 = 413 years, 16.5 X 30 = 495 years.

In conclusion, the estimate of the time since the common ancestor is similar using either SNPs (554 years ) or STRs (413 to 495 years).

HTH.

Comment

Working...
          X